I suggest you ...

Split Visual Studio windows horizontally and vertically the at same time.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351247/split-visual-studio-windows-horizontally-and-verti.html
It would be nice if you could split Visual Studio windows horizontally and vertically (read: create a vertical tab group on a horizontal tab group and vice versa) the at same time as display size increases constantly.

So you'll be able to have a arrangement of your files like http://jsfiddle.net/ provides.

452 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alexander Zeitler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello voters!

While we don’t have concrete plans to share yet, I wanted to let you know that we recently started discussions about potentially supporting this scenario.

I’ll provide an update once I have more concrete information to share.

Thank you!
    Ruben Rios
    Program Manager
    Visual Studio IDE Team

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • hhbrbg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s interesting how paying users are treated. Demanding this feature for a long time they have to acknowledge that not paying visual studio code users get a nice new feature with version 1.25. “Custom horizontal and vertical editor layout”. Thank you very much!

https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_25

• Podifue Marconis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm new to Visual Studio and am astounded at how such a useful feature such as split windows for the same file is present in pretty much every IDE on the planet except for VS.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you can't add a simple feature easily then your application is too complicated.

This needs to be implemented, especially as only 3 vertical splits seem to be allow. I even tried opening the same project in another window but it doesn't allow the same folder to be opened in 2 windows. This is on the Mac version.

• Dirk Weise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wide screen monitors were merely a trend when this Suggestion was opened. Now it's reality. No one has a 1200 high monitor but more horizontal space than needed.

• hhbrbg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I cannot believe that this important feature does not exist already. Not be able to dock windows horizontally and vertically at the same time, means less productivity for your users.
        What did Steve Ballmer say: "Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers.....".

Thanks for the update. Not having the feature right now is merely an inconvenience when I get my dream 35 inch 8k curved desktop monitor it is going to be a deal beaker.

• James Koon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised and disappointed that 5 years later this still isn't possible. The workaround of resizing the main application and putting the horizontally split windows outside of it is suboptimal.

• Axel Dahmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The two-axis split feature is very much required.

It's, for instance, particularly useful when editing a number of short-lined files, like CSS files, while at the same time editing some long-lined files, like JavaScript.

• Terry Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A short term solution is to drag a tab to a new window. I use a 4K monitor with VS.net docked to the left side of the screen using a horizontal split. Then drag and dock a code tab to the right side of the screen and create another horizontal split, effectively emulating the jsfiddle.net view. There are problems with this approach (window management, standalone windows don't show previews, etc.), but it's better than nothing.

• Shane Sholdice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Please. With large size and resolution monitors nowadays, being able to have both styles of tab groups at the same time would be very helpful. I have many colleagues who agree, we all speak through this one post

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base