I suggest you ...

Move a file in TFS, which is dragged from on project to another instead of remove and add it

Until now, Visual Studio removes and adds a file in the TFS if it get traged/moved between different projects. Visual Studio should move the file instead to prevent the CC history.
The same could also be used for cut & paste a file.

239 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
lehmamic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: After moving a file in Visual Studio across projects go to pending changes and undo the file add and remove in pending changes (not the project files). Then in tfs source control explorer do drag and drop of the file again. This way the files get the missing tfs move operation and the file history gets preserved.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got reply from Aaron Wang [MSFT]: "When you make some operations about some files, they only three Change state(add, delete, edit)."

I request that there is a forth change state operation move. A move operation is done by user and several source control systems support these including Microsoft TFS. But it is missing from Visual Studio.

• Carl Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team has string code quality guidelines, and one of those is that moved files may not be added and deleted. My current workaround is to make the move change in VS so the project files get updated, then tf undo the add and delete, copy any changes to a temporary file, delete the now-untracked file, tf move the file, then copy the changes back to the moved file.

Any action that requires copying changes out of version control is a huge potential for mistakes!

Feedback and Knowledge Base