I suggest you ...

C++/CLI Intellisense support for triple slash (///) auto XML Comments like C# to make them visible from derived C# projects

Add support for triple slash (///) xml comment like C# to have support for sandcastle auto generated documentation ad expecially to have full intellisense support for Parameters help and Methods help accessible from all c++/cli and c# derived project that use the c++/cli class and methods

2,380 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AlexB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also really like to see the XML comments being extended for C++, i.e. to document namespaces, templates, and such, which is currently not possible.

• Brian Pratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not a difficult concept to describe;

Problem: I have a C++ API. I want to document it.

In C#, I can just type a 'triple-slash' (///) at the top of the function, and voila! - the standard XML documentation tags are automatically generated. I just have to fill in the blank.

In C++, if I do this... nothing happens. It should generate the same XML tags that C# does; "summary," "parameter" and "return."

• guoqingaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hank you for your reply, but c / c ++ function annotation style support is very necessary in the development of the input code and read the code a lot of help.
        Xml style, such as C #

/// <summary>
        /// Write the details of the function here
        /// </ summary>
        /// <param name = "out"> description of output parameters </ param>
        /// <returns> description of return value </ returns>
        c/c++ style, such as:

/** brief $ {cursor}
        * Write the details of the function here
        * @param [in] (input parameter description, including the role of each parameter, the value and the relationship between parameters)
        * @param [out] (description of output parameters)
        * @return (description of return value)
        * @see (this function refers to other related functions, here as a link)
        * @note (description of the need to pay attention to the problem)
        */

• Steve Carroll [msft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone. This is Steve Carroll, the dev manager for the C++ team. We'd really like to discuss this item. If you are having this issue, can you please contact me at scarroll at Microsoft dot com? We'd love to learn more about this scenario as we do not believe we are reproing or correctly understanding this issue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base