I suggest you ...

VSDBCMD support for SQL2012

The VSDBCMD tool is the most underrated and under-documented one available for database developers. I have a number of applications that are deployed with this tool, where VSDBCMD is bundled with my custom deployment utility. VSDBCMD is supported on XP through Windows 7, and supports SQL 2005 through SQL 2008 R2.

With the release of SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT), it seems that Microsoft is deprecating support for VSDBCMD.

I implore you to at the very least provide developers with an updated build of VSDBCMD so that it will support deployment to SQL2012 database servers. This will give developers enough of a window to migrate to SSDT by then.

My main reason for wanting this is that SSDT is not supported as a deployment tool on XP systems.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
- The Visual Studio Team

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • sean hawkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This unfortunately is only one of several features that are missing from the SSDT, schema view, data generator, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base