I suggest you ...

Add "exclude files" to the "Look in" options under Find and Replace

Add "exclude files" to the "Look in" options under Find and Replace. There are times when certain files are always going to be impertinent to search for, and it would be nice to know that search will not be bogged down by those files.

1,165 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ToddB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's actually kind of surprising that it's not in there already.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please get this done.
        Searching a project where you have matches in resx or other resource files is a nightmare

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As this idea just had its 6th birthday, it would be great if someone from the VS team could comment one way or the other on this.

• EvilTeach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Use Case. I have a "Look in" set of directories that is all of my source. When searching it looks through my .git and .svn directories. I would like to be able to specify specify regexes that describe the set of files to be ignored during a search

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. This is really annoying when you're looking through javascript files in your project and happen to have JQUERY inside of there for example. It would be really nice to just exclude JQUERY and look at the other javascript files.

• montelyno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely for that. For example if you have trillions of auto-generated files like T4MVC the file search always duplicates everything and it opens the wrong file.
        That feature would be very smart!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People have been complaining about search in Visual Studio for years. I found a StackOverflow question from 2009 complaining about it. And yet it's still an issue. We need to be able to exclude files and/or folders from the Find and Replace search box. It's made searching my JavaScript files nearly impossible because it pulls in jQuery or Angular or React library files and crashes Visual Studio.

• LaTiNo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really really hate it when you're looking for something that appears a zillion times in the huge edmx file! I would so like to be able to skip that file (or 1 or more specific file extensions)

• Dan Puza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Find In Files locks up all the time due to tons of noise results on certain minified .js files...!!

• Tim Nipper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this also work for folders as well as file types. For example, exclude a PDF folder in my solution (or a JavaScript folder).

• Chris A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hahaha... Sorry Christopher... My bad...

I just realised that was your suggestion of how to implement it, rather than trying to tell people that this functionality already existed.

• Chris A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Christopher,
        Thanks for the suggestion, but... it doesn't work for me...?

Look In: Entire Solution
        Look at these file types: *.js; -app_all.js
        still returns results from the app_all.js file.

(tried with the space and without it)
        (Visual Studio 2015 Professional on 64 bit Windows 10 Pro)

Does this require a specific version of Visual Studio, or a plugin/etc?

Thanks,
        Chris.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base