I suggest you ...

Local Database Cache project item was removed in VS2012

I use the sync framework and the local database cache in my VS2010 projects, this has been removed in VS2012 and breaks my upgrade path. Please add support for this in VS2012.

57 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jason R. Craig shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some people at microsoft need to be fired...

How hard is it to understand opt-in?

2015 and this situation is still unresolved...

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And there's no alternative, nor can you download VS 2010 anymore... they are forcing us to use their **** azure and cloud b.s. so they can "organize the internet"... yes that is an actual quote from ******* bill gates 3 years ago talking about all this cloud services. That is a bunch of ****. I wish I didn't have to deal with Microsoft... All their videos are junk, their webpages are junk, their certification process is junk... Frustrating as **** to use any microsoft products as a developer.

• Jerry Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has a alternative approach to database synchronization been made available? I'm working on a occasionally connected application and everything I'm finding points to using local database cache. I get having to change directions in an application road map but to leave the masses hanging is frustrating. The Microsoft Sync Framework Developer Center is way behind the curve and several links don't even work. Get Fuzzy was right on when he said things are really messed up. Here it is 6 months later and still no clear direction.

• Jason R. Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My entire business model is centered around partially connected clients which require bi-directionally sync'd SQL compact relational databases!

Also, it should me noted the WinRT (Windows Store) have no native local db support.

Micorsoft, please explain why you canned it and please give us your roadmap for these scenarios!!!!!!

• Get Fuzzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Things are really messed up right now with Sync Framework and SQL Compact Edition. First, Sync Fx is only supported with Compact 3.5, so upgrading to SQL Compact Edition 4.0 isn't an option for those of us trying to use Sync Fx, and now VS 2012 is forcing an upgrade to 4.0. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx And Sync Framwork has been removed from SQL Server 2012 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707784.aspx

Getting pretty mixed messages as to the future viability of Sync Fx, and Local data caching in general... Some applications really need a local data cache, so what is the solution here folks?

I see a couple ways to fix this:)

1. Allow SQL CE 3.5 in VS 2012
    2. Put out a service pack for SQL CE 4.0 so sync framework is supported.

Some one from Microsoft, please explain what is up, and what we are supposed to do. I upgraded to VS 2012 and now I'm dead in the water while I try to find a way to hack my way around this semi insanity.

Feedback and Knowledge Base