I suggest you ...

Bring back the MPI Cluster Debugger

In Visual Studio 2010 there is an MPI Cluster Debugger that allows us to debug MPI applications.
It seems that this feature has gone, so please bring it back to make it easier to develop MPI applications on Windows.

825 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
alzi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We looked into the feasibility of bringing back the MPI debugger and determined that the cost is not feasible at this time. Therefore we are going to decline this suggestion and return your votes to you.

Andrew Hall
Program Manager
Visual Studio

47 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Demiralp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cost, from my point of view (6000$), is pretty **** feasible to expect to be able to debug applications written with the de-facto standard for high performance software development. There is no proper way to breakpoint into an MPI application in Windows. You are lacking core functionality for high performance software development and do not bother to fix it. You indirectly accept that Windows is just not good for HPC - reinforcing biases against you.

• VV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is surprising and disappointing. I was promoting VS at work for the convenience of debugging MPI applications locally on the desktop. I'm currently working with an MPI application in 2010. Apparently, that project is now frozen in VS time.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the possibility to quickly debug MPI code locally was a great feature in VS2010.
    We develop MPI solutions in VS2013 and then are forced to switch to VS2010 just to debug them with the MPI Cluster Debugger.
    Spinning an HPC server, with a separate DNS server and Worker machines just for these tests would be costly and inefficient for us.
    Please bring this feature back in some form (e.g. extension, separate download).

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base