I suggest you ...

Support XAML+Native Code for desktop applications

Metro app developers got the gift of the ability to combine XAML with native code. Desktop developers (well, at least me) have wanted this for years and probably didn't ask because we figured there was no chance. Now developers of these little toy apps get this ability! This is a travesty. Desktop application developers need a modern framework (MFC is older than the internet, WPF is dead), and it should be native code (.NET is too slow). So please port the ability to use XAML and native code together over to the Win32 development platform.

270 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric Hill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kim Egenes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be immensely useful for us, we have a legacy desktop application(c++\win32/mfc) with a huge code base. We need a way to migrate step by step to a more modern ui

• WoimioW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't resist, but this "whishes" on this site looks like spam filter, where someone add some feature request, and than nothing happen. Request is from 2012 and there is still no xaml with native c++. Noesis GUI engine is good option, but I can't get why it is not supported from Microsoft.

Another example is import svg in to Blend. There is old feature request but Microsoft nothing do for it. That is why I call it "spam filter site".

• Qt lover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dump XAML completely as being another "pie int he sky dream" from devdiv. Buy Qt and implement that instead for a fast, fluent, properly interactive graphics stack. then add bindings to allow MFC programs to use Qt dialogs and we will have a migration path for all those legacy enterprise programs.

• Dwayne Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should happen, as it allows more unified development between desktop apps and store apps and more code reuse between projects. Then migration can happen incrementally for desktop apps, which then can become store apps later. There is no technical reason why XAML is only used inside an app container, as native code can already call WinRT API's, and Direct XAML is native. If it is actually already possible but undocumented, then Visual Studio should ship with templates demonstrating how.

• Gavin Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would have thought this would get more love. It seems like a no-brainer that xaml should be available for desktop development.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft does provide the ability to use C++, XAML for desktop apps, it would improve their business in future, when some enterprise apps would be needed to have desktop version too (other than the tablet one) and it need not be re-written using something else. It would develop a uniform ecosystem for Windows 8.1 or higher. If there can be one common OS (Windows 8.1) for phones, tabs and desktop then why not one common development stack (C++, XAML, WCF Data Services) for all the devices??

Agree!
        VC++ GUI Library for desktop applications hasn't updated for years, Please consider support xaml + Native code

It's for windows RT, not for c++, they just want to bridge arm's old source and windows RT

• Pooya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont know why xaml and c++ are just support in metro style.
        We are indie game programmers who want to port our sand box editor to xaml, but we cant use xaml and c++ along with each other.
        With this desktop application types, we can do a lot of works.!!!
        Thanks a lot microsoft.

• Eric Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, and make sure this new framework supports immediate mode graphics, the absence of which was one of WPF's great failings.

Feedback and Knowledge Base