I suggest you ...

Why I still need an internet connection to Install VS after 30GB downloads?

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351571/why-i-still-need-an-internet-connection-to-install.html
Why are you guys being idiotic and still require an internet connection after asking user to download 30GB installer for VS2017?Are you purposely doing this or do guys have some kind of intent's to always see what other programmers are doing? This is both after downloading 30GB and the installer telling you to connect to the internet and when you start the installer again?

68 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply stated. VS has entirely too many components and probably 500+ developers working on it in silos, each team needing its own special installation internet access logic.

Installation should be, select all items to be installed, download them all, disconnect network cable, install Visual Studio.

No need to constantly go out over the internet during Visual Studio installation.

Much more effective to FTP file transfer up front to avoid getting a download failed 95% of the way through the installation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base