I suggest you ...

Make designing WPF applications against objects smoother

While WPF provides robust support for binding, the presence of hand-coded member names within XAML is still a bit stifling.

What would make things easier would be:

1. A stupid easy means of declaring a design-time data context. Yes, I can import the Blend designer namespace to do this, but doing this requires adding yet another namespace to already incredibly verbose XAML files, marking that namespace as ignorable, importing the namespace of the design-time object (even if that namespace is never used in the XAML), and instantiating the object. In many cases, the designer-mocked class won't compile, so I'm forced to add a parameterless constructor to my class just to support the designer
2. In WinForms, if I attached, say, a ComboBox to a binding source, the designer gave me a friendly dropdown in the ValueMember and DIsplayMember area that let me CHOOSE a property rather than typing it as the XAML/WPF designer forces me to do. Which means I have to go double-check my class to ensure that the text property I want is called Name instead of Description or somesuch.
3. Provide the option for designer warnings when I'm bound at design time to an object and one of my bindings is to a property that doesn't exist

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adam Robinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base