I suggest you ...

Create a WPF ReportViewer Control

Provide a WPF SSRS Report Viewer Control.

Not required but a great addition would be to have the option to display multiple reports with drag and drop and resize functionality effectively making it an end user dashboard designer, allow displaying excel sheets and powerpivots as well and it becomes a powerful tool.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Richard Walker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you think about it, Reports Templates are not as functional as ASP.Net or MVC pages. I need different report template for various reports when they are essentially the same reports because the headers or footers are different. SSRS reports are forcing us to hard code business logic into the reports. It's a big waste of productivity. We cannot afford this in this day and age becasue some technology could come out and end the need for SSRS. SSRS's main benefit is the requirement for printing on paper. Shouldn't you move more towards the web and ebooks? I'd like to be able to easily integrate with asp.net or MVC as well? I'd love it to be a MVC view!

Also, our reports need to branded to look like our website. It would be great if SSRS was using CSS or even HTML5 instead of RDL so I could code generate the report templates using T4 or CodeSmith. We were trying to get really fancy with Reports like HTML, but we either can't, run into cosmetic bugs,etc. (HTML5 has header and footers now.) We'd also like to programatically customize reports for different clients and it would be much better with HTML5 as the language. We were trying to have a report template display different customer logo in the header for each customer.

We don't just need a new WPF ReportViewer. We need to modernize the Report Designer. The report designer should be more like Excel. I can quickly mock up a prototype report in excel, but it's painful in SSRS designer. I'm creating complex reports with 100s of fields and it drives me insane that I have to go into the Expression dialog box to make formulas with various averages and aggregations. I need to modify tons of objects and properties quickly. Also, the properties in the properties window keep moving when I want to resize and reposition items using the Location and Size properties. And I want to quickly view all the properties of all objects to compare that they are all correct or all the same. It would be nice to have a tool that was an editable grid that simply lists objects and selected properties. Table1, Location.Left, Location.Right
    Table2, Location.Left, Location.Right

or
    Field1, Size.Width,Size.Height
    Field2, Size.Width,Size.Height
    Field3, Size.Width,Size.Height

or
    Field1, BorderStyle.Default, BorderStyle.Left, BorderStyle.Top
    Field2, BorderStyle.Default, BorderStyle.Left, BorderStyle.Top
    Field3, BorderStyle.Default, BorderStyle.Left, BorderStyle.Top

Feedback and Knowledge Base