I suggest you ...

Show properties of NuGet packages in References

When using PackageReference in a project, if you view the properties of the added reference then nothing shows up. Using packages.json you can quickly view the version of a package being used along with the path. Additionally you could jump to the location where the package was stored in case you had assembly version questions (like for binding redirects). With PackageReference there is no packages.json to look at nor can you jump to the folder where the package is installed. Instead you have to build the app and then go look in the output directory.

Viewing the properties of a NuGet reference should display at least the information stored in the PackageReference element in the project file. Ideally it would also show where the package is stored or perhaps the assembly(ies) it contains and their versions.

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Michael Taylor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Roi Zentner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UserVoice was shut down recently and all suggestions were moved to developercommunity dot visualstudio dot com

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are the votes closed on this? This is fairly obnoxious that I can't review the versions.

• Yegor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As is it's very inconvenient, because I need to either open .csproj file or open slow Nuget Manager to see what version is referenced.

• Martin Schroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

on .NET Core and .NET Standard projects you can see the current package version number in brackets right behind the nuget PackageReference.

On .NET Framework projects it is not visible.

Especially when you use floating versions it would be very helpful to see the current package version in VS. At the moment you can get this information only when you check the file info on unpacked contents in the output directory.

Feedback and Knowledge Base