I suggest you ...

Let me configure a project to generate Unity symbol files without running the Unity Editor

It would be nice if I could configure the Unity integration, especially the symbol file generation, entirely from Visual Studio. My process, and the process I preach on Unity Answers and their Forum, is to start with a blank solution and use TDD to build the engine of the game, compiling directly to a sub folder of my Unity project's assets folder.

This works great except on those occasions when I need a stack trace or (gasp) want to ***** open the debugger. In those cases, I have to open Visual Studio from Unity. This generates a separate solution file that isn't configured the way my solution was and is generally kind of funky. In fact, it only serves one purpose: for me to hit Ctrl+Shift+B one time and then get the **** out of Dodge.

It's kind of a pain. Obviously all the parts required to generate valid .dlls and .mdb files are there. If they weren't, Unity wouldn't be able to coerce Visual Studio into doing it. It would be nice if I could just click the check boxes and fill in the values required to do this, myself.

If this is already there, then you can safely treat this feature request as "Make all that stuff a LOT more discoverable".

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Max Guernsey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon