I suggest you ...

Fix VSIX extensions so they actually work with .NET Standard projects

I have a very tool-centric development approach. I use ten different custom tools, all written in C# and exposed as Single File Generators.

Due to my cross platform requirements, I have moved my code to .NET Standard and .NET Core, this despite knowing that the code generators will not work on these projects due to a bug in Visual Studio (reported). I have had to make use of another tool I have that reads solutions and project files and generates make files from them. Hopefully, this is a temporary work-around. But it gets worse.

It turns out that it is not possible to use .Net Standard libraries when building a VSIX extension. The manifest editor simply chokes. This is really serious when I am trying to transition to supporting integration into Visual Studio for Mac as well. Basically, there is no framework I can use that supports everything.

So one possible solution is of course to use Shared Projects. But this creates yet another problem in that Custom tools have never been supported in Shared Projects. It is possible to specify a custom tool which is actually useful (I can use this to generate the make files) but Visual Studio will never run the tool. Which is the same thing that happens with .NET Standard projects.

If Microsoft considers extensibility to be worth support in Visual Studio, then it has to work on the project types that are considered to be the future. The most general fix would be to add the support into shared libraries.

If there was an example showing how to write an extension using standard libraries, that would maybe force some checking in the QA dept.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phill Hallam-Baker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base