I suggest you ...

Add object name filtering to Schema Compare

When trying to compare specific objects in databases with large numbers of objects, it can be cumbersome to scroll through a large number of differences.

It would be great to be able to apply one or more object name filters to the results. It would also be nice if I could specify the filter ahead of time and only compare objects that meet the criteria.

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a database hosted on Azure SQL which uses DataSync, so there's hundreds of objects (tables, procedures, etc) inside the `DataSync` DB schema which clutter up the SSDT Schema Compare window. I wish I could hide/exclude them easily. It also doesn't help that when you use SSDT Compare with Azure SQL the whole UI locks-up for a few seconds every time you select/deselect something. What's up with that?

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The select all / none checkbox at the top should be easier to add and would be very helpful.

• Vic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also help to have a select all / none checkbox at the top!!! Come on Microsoft.

• Ryan Claeys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And it can be very slow. Filtering would allow less items to be compared, and less time spent waiting on the tool.

Feedback and Knowledge Base