I suggest you ...

Will Microsoft bring back the VB6 programming language in 2018?

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351611/will-microsoft-bring-back-the-vb6-programming-lang.html
Now that Microsoft finally admit that VB.Net has never been successful, will they:

1) Support the VB6 programming IDE on Windows 10
2) Allow a free download of VB6
3) Update VB6 allow 64bit compilation

352 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 Programming, VBA Programming and VBScript programming shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VB6 programming is supported until at least 2025 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 Programming

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-basic-6/visual-basic-6-support-policy

The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems:

Windows 10
        Windows 8.1
        Windows 7
        Windows Server 2019
        Windows Server 2016
        Windows Server 2012 including R2
        Windows Server 2008 including R2

• The Truth Seeker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 is too outdated, lacking many functions and features VB.Net has. However I still have some programs written in VB6 that I still maintain and update. VB.Net is there for those who love the simplicity of basic language and it is not one bit less powerful than C#, so I guess VB.Net is the best BASIC language there is.
        What we need is just Microsoft's compatibility support for VB6 in many future version of Windows.

• VB6 Programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 programming never went away - Top 10 languages for Enterprise Application Development.

https://sdtimes.com/java/report-finds-java-and-javascript-remain-the-top-languages-for-enterprise-development/

Java .................58%
        JavaScript ........57%
        C++ ................46%
        C# ...................26%
        Python ............25%
        PHP ................22%
        VB.NET............17%
        C .....................16%
        Visual Basic 6 ..16%
        VBA .................15%

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should bring back VB6 programming.

It has long been demanded. No point in persisting with the failed VB.Net.

• Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft have a support statement for VB6 programming...

Microsoft Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows.
        - Note: The support policy below has been updated with Windows 10 version 1709 support information.

The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems:

Windows 10
        Windows 8.1
        Windows 7
        Windows Server 2016
        Windows Server 2012 including R2
        Windows Server 2008 including R2

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications continue to run on supported Windows versions.
        As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support.

The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 10 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until at least 2025).
        The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows Server 2016 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until at least 2027).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-basic-6/visual-basic-6-support-policy

• Roger Schlueter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see no advantage of VB6 over VB.net and have used both extensively. On the other hand, VB.net wins out over VB6 across the board. I suggest MS invest their VB resources on the .net capabilities at the expense of VB6.

• Jean #Support VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft's classic Visual Basic has risen in popularity in the June 2018 Tiobe index

The VB6 programming language is the 13th most popular programming language in June 2018.
        The latest version of classic VB was launched in 1998, 20 years ago, and still rates highly in the Tiobe index of over 200 programming languages.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index

VB6 programming is more popular than Perl, Swift, Assembly Language, Matlab, Go, Delphi and over 200 other programming languages.

• VB6 programming just got a big boost from Microsoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Platt has an article about VB6 programming in Microsoft's MSDN magazine this month (June 2018).

"With these latest improvements to compatibility, I foresee at least another ten years of life for VB6. And I’ll bet you anything that this support gets renewed in Windows 11 and 12, or whatever they’re called by then. Another decade of driving the puritans crazy. I can dig it."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt846730

• Terry Maxwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB.Net is almost abandoned by Microsoft. Few developers use it.

But VB6 programming is widely used with VB6 applications everywhere. That's why Microsoft still support VB6 in Windows 10.

And VBA is used in Office.

• John Henderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, they should keep improving VB.Net. I worked on VB6 products for many years, and I still occasionally have to support VB6 products and there's absolutely nothing that I miss from VB6 when working in VB.Net. Coding in VB6 is painful with no .Net framework and missing basics like inheritance and generics. It just needs to die.

• Tommy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bring back VB6 programming

"I vote for this."

I vote for this too.

• Jean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good to see VB6 programming climbing in the Tiobe index as C# declines.

• Mark Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The answer is NO to all of the above. They've said it over and over. How is continued whining about it going make them change their mind?

Microsoft has a much cheaper and easier solution: Just drop all versions of Visual Basic in the trash where they belong. Professional developers do not use BASIC anyway.

Feedback and Knowledge Base