I suggest you ...

run tests should queue if it isn't available

For some reason in my instance of the IDE and project, VS takes a good 30seconds to a minute after the tests are complete or after it tells me there was a compile error before it will let me run the tests again. And during this time, Ctrl-r, Ctrl-t is unavailable.

It would be much nicer if run tests command was still available and if it can't run the tests immediately, it puts the command on a queue that will get run as soon as whatever is happening finishes. (I have no idea what VS is doing for 30 s to 1min after the tests are finished).

Without this capability, I sit there hitting Ctrl-r,Ctrl-t listening to that stupid ding sound until the background task is finally finished and it kicks off the tests. I probably hit the key combination 20 times before it takes it. I should only have to hit it once.

Here is a typical workflow:
I make some changes that breaks compilation in a derived class I don't have open, so I didn't notice the compile error. I run the unit tests on the class I am working on. As it is compiling, I see the error and fix it while the compiler is still compiling because it takes a minute or two.Then the system comes back with the dialog that says - there were build errors do you want to run a previous version. I say no.

This is where VS goes off and does something for 30 seconds to a minute (most times, but not all times) and i am stuck hitting ctrl-r,ctrl-t repeatedly until it finally decides to listen to what I want it to do.

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Greg Veres shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon