I suggest you ...

Make the context menu titles include the "nickname" of the installation

Overview

While installing VS you can choose a "nickname". This is very useful when you have multiple versions installed, like RTM, Preview and anything else. Unfortunately, the right-click context menu for "Open With" does not include this nickname so you will see a list of just the generic "Visual Studio 2017" title.

Steps to Reproduce

Install RTM VS 2017
Install a Visual Studio Preview version of 2017 and choose a nickname like "Preview" (it may already do this by default)
Right click on a .sln file and choose Open With

Actual Results

Two options appear for VS title "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017". It's unclear which is Preview.

Expected Results

Append the nickname to this title so it's clear what you are choosing.
When launching VS from the Start menu, the nickname is present.

Additional Information

It's possible to workaround this by editing the entries in "`HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache`" to include the nickname.
I've attached screenshots of the actual vs. the expected (modified the above keys to show)

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
John Miller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> Install a Visual Studio Preview version of 2017 and choose a nickname like "Preview" (it may already do this by default)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't set a default nickname. It should set a default so the user doesn't have to know to do this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base