I suggest you ...

Provide a more robust Exceptions window in Visual Studio.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351258/provide-a-more-robust-exceptions-window-in-visual.html
It would be great to be able to save the Exceptions configuration in the Debug -> Exceptions window into various profiles. Once saved, allowing us to switch between profiles would be a tremendous help when debugging a variety of projects.

157 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Eric Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently reviewing this suggestion and evaluating whether we will be able to incorporate this into a future version of Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Kaycee Anderson
Visual Studio Diagnostics

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with that suggestion and it would be great if assertions could also be controlled that way.

In addition to profiles of exception, It would be nice to be able to disabled an exception for the rest of the debugging session, for a specific apps when debugging multiple apps, for external code and at a specific location to name a few possibilities. Another option would be to break always or only if the exception is unhandled (by user code). Also being able to only stop on main (STA) thread might be an interesting option.

Being able to specify condition based on exception content would also be nice.

Some exceptions like invalid/null argument exception should normally be kept enabled but sometime disabled at specific locations, If those locations could be remembered similar to breakpoints, then it would be really usefull. If something like that is implemented, then in could be simlar the conditionnal breakpoint by allows conditions and actions to be specified.

I have not check what happen with intellitrace but it would be nice to be able to record exception even if we don't break on them. And for editions without intellitrace, it would be nice to at least count occurrence during debugging and show that value in the Windows.

By the way, the default should be to stop on all exceptions or we should be able to specify the default profile to use when one has not been set for that project/solution. Often, when I start a new project (or a fresh copy of an existing one), none are checked and I usually forget to check them until I realize that the debugger never stop even though I suspect that exception were thrown.

• Raffaele Rialdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Profiles are definitely a need.
    Very often we have to switch on and off a long list of exceptions but not all (for example asp.net throws and swallows exceptions which we are not interested into).

• AdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Including the second part of: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3173458-improve-the-debug-exceptions-dialog

It should have some way to switch between some-enabled and all-disabled.
    I usually run with Break on All Exceptions enabled, except for some harmless exceptions (COMException, InvalidAsyncState, Socket, and some others, depending on context). Sometimes, when running exceptionful code, I want to disable all of them. Right now, that loses my unchecked exceptions.

This could be a separate global "enable breaking" checkbox
    Better yet, it could support "exception profiles", allowing you to save the current state and load it later (preferably with an MRU dropdown on the debug toolbar)

Feedback and Knowledge Base