I suggest you ...

Improve the solution explorer menu

There was an idea similar to this, that was implemented back in 2013. I strongly feel this needs another go.

The context menu contains so much information with no weighting (everything seems equally important). There are few things in there like icons for the eye to catch, so I basically have to scan the entire menu every time, despite being a daily VS user since version 2003.

I've attached a screenshot of how it looks today, as well as a suggestion of how it could be improved, focusing on the mostly used items that I as a user is more likely to look for.

Now, I'm not a designer so you could probably do a better job in terms of icons and stuff, but I think you get the gist of it.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
John Knoop shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jschroedl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This looks like it would be a vast improvement. Sadly, I've allocated my votes to higher priority items to me but will vote here asap.

• John Knoop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another thing that I forgot to mention... there's no real consistency today in the way the menu items are ordered, depending on the type of item you've clicked. For example, I suggest the "Add.." and the "Run unit tests" links are found in the same place, regardless of whether you've clicked on a project or a folder. This enables the user to tap into the spatial memory (which we humans are really good at) instead of resorting to scanning the menu.

Feedback and Knowledge Base