I suggest you ...

Annouce Visual Basic 1.0 Pheonix (Visual Basic Classic)

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351634/annouce-visual-basic-10-pheonix-visual-basic-class.html
VB.net was never about "improving" VB. It was about giving in to the Object-Oriented nerds. They had C++ and were getting C#, but that was not enough. They wanted control over EVERYTHING. Perhaps, as is the case with many people who live their lives hiding behind a computer monitor, they don't have control over ANYTHING in real life.

That was opinion, this is fact:

VB.net has been a disaster. Visual Basic has gone from being the most popular programming language in the world, to not even being in the top ten.

Microsoft, is that how you define "success?" Would you hire a marketing rep who defined "success" in that way?

Give your customers what they want. Release what one opinion here suggested be called "Visual Basic Phoenix" (a great bird reborn from the ashes of its previous life). Put profit ahead of programmer ego and give us back the Rapid Application Development environment of Visual Basic 1.0 Phoenix (Visual Basic Classic).

143 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anthony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the Microsoft support statement for VB6 programming...

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows
    - (updated with Windows 10 version 1709 support information).

The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems:
    Windows 10
    Windows 8.1
    Windows 7
    Windows Server 2016
    Windows Server 2012 including R2
    Windows Server 2008 including R2

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications continue to run on supported Windows versions.
    As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support.

The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 10 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until at least 2025).
    The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows Server 2016 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until at least 2027).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-basic-6/visual-basic-6-support-policy

• Joe Bolton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, what?? Microsoft ended support for VB6 because of a conspiracy by the Evil Object-Oriented Nerd Alliance? Were they blackmailing Microsoft or something? Did they have pictures of Bill Gates using Linux? I've heard some wild theories before but this one...

But Dunn is right. Basic is dead these days. VB6 jobs are long gone and the only VB.Net jobs available are for maintaining code written back when it was more popular. Now employers want hard C# experience and you better know all the design patterns and how to do unit testing.

• Mark Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, let’s see. The entire industry is getting work done with object-oriented languages and making money without taking unreasonable amounts of time. Maybe we know something you don’t and have skills you lack? You may have taken several courses but none of them seem to be in computer science like my degree is or even modern programming. Maybe you should take a few. While you’re at it sign up for a course in logical thinking since you seem to need one.

Things like your “suggestion” is why everybody is laughing at you. How many times has Microsoft told you NO? They’ve already said that:

No, they will not bring back VB6.

No, they will not give it away for free.

No, they will not open source it.

No, they will not add it to Windows.

In other words, how about taking “no” for answer and moving on? This is the Visual Studio User Voice forum, not the Long Dead and Not Missed Language forum.
    BTW, repeatedly posting the same rant over and over is not an argument.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark Dunn You share the typical egomania and ignorance of OOP programmers. I have "taken a class", in fact, I have several certifications and a degree (summa *** laude).

The issue is not that OOP is "too hard", it is that it is too damned time consuming, and does not deliver on the promise of "reusable code" (unless you have an unlimited amount of time to spend updating that "reusable code" to actually be reusable).

The bottom line here is what we typically see when the OOP crowd gets involved in any conversation, chatting from behind the protection of their anonymity: It's not enough that you have plenty of OOP languages, you want all non-OOP languages DESTROYED to satisfy your power hungry ego.

I do not program for ego. I program for profit. Also, I have a life. All of which requires getting my programming done IN A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME.

So please feel free to go drown yourself in OOP. But don't tell the rest of us what to do or how to do it.

@Mark Dunn You share the typical egomania and ignorance of hardcore nerd OOP programmers. I have "taken a class", in fact, I have several certifications and a degree (summa *** laude).

The issue is not that OOP is "too hard", it is that it is too damned time consuming, and does not deliver on the promise of "reusable code" (unless you have an unlimited amount of time to spend updating that "reusable code" to actually be reusable.

The bottom line here is what we typically see when the uber nerds start chatting from behind the protection of their anonymity: It's not enough that you have plenty of OOP languages, you want all non-OOP languages DESTROYED to satisfy your power hungry ego.

I do not program for ego. I program for profit. Also, I have a life. All of which requires getting my programming done IN A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME.

So go drown yourself in OOP. But don't freakin tell the rest of us what to do or how to do it.

@Mark Dunn You share the typical egomania and ignorance of hardcore nerd OOP programmers. I have "taken a class", in fact, I have several certifications and a degree (summa *** laude).

The issue is not that OOP is "too hard", it is that it is too damned time consuming, and does not deliver on the promise of "reusable code" (unless you have an unlimited amount of time to spend updating that "reusable code" to actually be reusable.

The bottom line here is what we typically see when the uber nerds start chatting from behind the protection of their anonymity: It's not enough that you have plenty of OOP languages, you want all non-OOP languages DESTROYED to satisfy your power hungry ego.

So go drown yourself in OOP. But don't freakin tell the rest of us what to do or how to do it.

• Terry Maxwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C# is declining.
    VB.Net has failed.
    But Microsoft dare not abandon VB6 programming because there are so many VB6 applications in use today.
    For the same reason, VBA programming continues in Microsoft Office.

• Mark Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Big Four languages in terms of jobs are Java, JavaScript, C# and Python. All of them are object-oriented languages. That should give you a clue that the days of Visual Basic are over. Nobody wants to hire "programmers" who just whine about how OOP is "too hard" because they're unwilling to open a book or take a course.

Feedback and Knowledge Base