or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eugene shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

8360 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The VB6 programming IDE installs on Windows 7 and Windows 10 http://nuke.vbcorner.net/

Microsoft's support statement for VB6 programming is here...

The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems:
        Windows 10
        Windows 8.1
        Windows 7
        Windows Server 2016
        Windows Server 2012 including R2
        Windows Server 2008 including R2

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications continue to run on supported Windows versions.
        As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support

The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 10 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until 2025).
        The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows Server 2016 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until 2027).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vb6/vb6-support
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to be a dedicated VB6 user. But then a friend told me I should try VB.Net. He said there was a hump to get over in learning it but the benefits made it worth doing. How right he was! Let me list just a couple of them.

When my mother-in-law learned that I’d switched to VB.Net she stopped coming over for two-week-long visits. Then she changed her phone number to an unlisted one and got a different email address. Thank you, VB.Net. This never would have happened with VB6.

But there’s more! When my noisy neighbors saw the “I love VB.Net” bumper sticker on my car they moved out taking their noisy kids and dog with them. Now it’s nice and quiet at night and there’s more parking space!

And that’s just a couple of the great benefits I get from switching. You guys should switch too.

• Jerico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

░██░░░██░░░▄▄░░░░░░░██░░░▄▄░░░░░
        ██▀░▄██▀░▄███░░░░░░░▀██▄░▀█▄░██░
        ██░▄██░▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░███░██░▀█▄
        ██▄██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▄░██░██
        ███████▀░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
        ███████▄▄████▄▄░░░▄▄███▄▄███████
        ███████████▀▀███░███▀▀██████████
        ████████▀░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░███████
        ███████▀░░▄░░░▄░▄▄▄░░▄▄▄░░██████
        ███████▄░░█░░░█░█▄▄▀░█▄▄░░██████
        ████████▄░░▀▄▀░░█▄▄▀░█▄█░▄██████
        ██████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄████████
        ████████████████▄▄██████████████
        ▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░▀▀▀████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▀▀▀

• MichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> Close VB6 product related suggestions

Most IT professionals feel as long as there is a Windows OS there will be VB6. Those at MS know that VB6 has played a major role in Windows success.

Its pretty obvious that if any process improvement was to occur in these forums the starting place would be to weed out all the fake accounts and corresponding unprofessional posts.

Have a forum where all the user accounts can actually be linked back to a real person. If MS owns LinkedIn perhaps you can start there. Many ways to approach this though.

Cheers.

<<<Thanks for your support for the Uservoice forum below. We are growing strong and believe all those spam suggestions made by basically two people will be deleted by Microsoft! Please go to the address below and vote for the suggestion.>>>

"Close VB6 product related suggestions"

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/18156220-close-vb6-product-related-suggestions

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All these Uservoice forums regarding VB6 are MAINLY CREATED BY TWO SPAMMERS. Here are the names:

First Troll a.k.a VB6Awards

yogaguy, hotman, Jonathan, Jhony Bravo, Pinky, Maradona, The king of programming world, Xman in the bath, Zagor's MASTER, Sek, Vasco da Gama, Jesuss,
        VB6 programming is the best, VB6 programming utilities, George T, Google, Mcdonald, Crugar M, Megan, MichaelMichel, Travolta, Jusepe, Dani, Anonymous, Windows10, Mistress, Joy, Recado, Gudman, Gigim and many more.

The second troll is a person called "Sten". He writes in other forums by pseudo-name "Sten2005"
        Here he uses the following pseudo-names:

Sten = Jon, Mike, Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming, Richard Collier, Robert McHugh, Paul and many others.

PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS IDEA!!!

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amusing how Zagor the troll sock puppet has to generate new accounts each day. :)
        What a sad and desperate obsessive compulsive.

Here are Zagor's new usernames this week (so far):

TEKILA
        RAYMOND
        JOE
        JOHNY
        terry
        Tom McCarthy
        Tacho
        maggy
        procoder
        baberuth
        jennifer

to add to "Zagor Tenay", "VB6Awards", "Kerry", "Amerigo Vespuci", "Jonathan", "The great Thinker", "dogydog", "Holycow", "Martin Philips", "Alberto Einstein", "Anonymous", "Mary", "Larry G", "Tony Pony" "A.Miranda", "LarsontheViking", "Ron Jeremy" and many, many others.

But thanks for all your posts supporting VB6 programming ;)

It's because VB6 programming is inside your head :)

• MichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> I don't like VB6!

I did not like Python at first glance. Mainly because you had to indent your code. Indenting has a special purpose in Python. Indenting I thought! That is so like COBOL etc. Yuck!!!

I finally came back to Python and found that for maintenance scripts I am writing about 15-25% less code than otherwise.

I know a lot of languages BTW. I am a real person not hiding behind a fake name posting fake news.

VB6 is the same in a way as Python. You think BASIC? Meh! What I find is that VB6 is a perfect balance of a agreat IDE with easy yet very powerful code.

If you like .Net cool! This forum is not for you however so you are not expected to be enamored with VB6. I use .Net too. I just dont go into .Net forums and spam how wonderful Python or VB6 or C is etc. Thats just not right. It is certainly not professional.

• Tom McCarthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tim Goldstein says

>>"

Basic and Visual Basic, just like VB.NET are ways for people to get started with programming. The first two are by no means capable to build software-systems that are planned entirely by architects. The most important terms here are scalability, maintainability, reusability and most importantly separability.

Thinking that VB6 or anything alike should be used for professional purposes nowadays mainly shows the narrowness of one's horizon as well as missing advanced education.

Use this for whatever small tools you want to create with it. It's okay, you learn a little how to program with this. But don't think that these tools you learn to work with are the tools you should work with in any company which wants to use your software for more than a couple of years.
        "

• jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like VB6! It is an old and obsolete language. It is irrelevant and nobody uses it in serious business. DotNET is the best thing I have ever used. I was a java and C++ programmer before but now I am with DotNET.

It rocks!

• truefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean, what do you think you will achieve ? We all like VB6 and hate VB.NET and the .NET framework for obvious reasons ! Reasons that even a child can understand, except you, of course !

• truefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 is and will be the best programming language weather you are against or pro ! You are little compared with this community Zagor.

"Close VB6 product related suggestions"

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/18156220-close-vb6-product-related-suggestions

All these Uservoice forums regarding VB6 are MAINLY CREATED BY TWO SPAMMERS. Here are the names:

First Troll a.k.a VB6Awards

yogaguy, hotman, Jonathan, Jhony Bravo, Pinky, Maradona, The king of programming world, Xman in the bath, Zagor's MASTER, Sek, Vasco da Gama, Jesuss,
        VB6 programming is the best, VB6 programming utilities, George T, Google, Mcdonald, Crugar M, Megan, MichaelMichel, Travolta, Jusepe, Dani, Anonymous, Windows10, Mistress, Joy, Recado, Gudman, Gigim and many more.

The second troll is a person called "Sten". He writes in other forums by pseudo-name "Sten2005"
        Here he uses the following pseudo-names:

Sten = Jon, Mike, Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming, Richard Collier, Robert McHugh, Paul and many others.

PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS IDEA!!!

• Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft's support statement for VB6 programming is here...

The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems:
        Windows 10
        Windows 8.1
        Windows 7
        Windows Server 2016
        Windows Server 2012 including R2
        Windows Server 2008 including R2

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications continue to run on supported Windows versions.
        As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support

The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 10 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until 2025).
        The VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows Server 2016 for the lifetime of the OS (that is until 2027).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vb6/vb6-support
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708

The VB6 programming IDE installs on Windows 7 and Windows 10 http://nuke.vbcorner.net/

← Previous 1 3 4 5 417 418

Feedback and Knowledge Base