I suggest you ...

Add Type Provider to C#

F# 3.0 introduced a new feature call "Type Provider" that speed up development when accessing internet web services such as Azure Market, OData and many other. the "Type Provider" integrate the web service data into a type-safe .Net classes including IntelliSense.
support!

a good document about it can be found at http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=173076

Please add this feature into C# compiler

147 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    idan shatz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature IMO would be hard to deliver well in C# for a number of reasons. F# has a lot of features that make type providers easier; for example better type inference, scripting support, more LINQ syntax keywords, etc. I sympathise with your wanting of this feature; it is something F# does really well - however my initial thought with this idea is that C# seems to be adopting a lot of F# features lately rather than playing to its strengths (OO programming). F# has a small but innovative community; maybe we should remove barriers for people to use F# and help the development there rather than port every F# feature to C#; would prefer to see that innovation rewarded and the language more adopted - currently there's a perception that most features in F# will eventually be put into C# so why switch?

• BitBender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh yes that would be nice! i totally hope that now after using the roslyn compiler with all its abilites, it could be a lot easier to integrate this feature. i had multiple occasions where this feature would have been a great help. i really deeply hope that the only reason why they didnt already integrate it was the lot of work they had with roslyn and the complexities such a feature would have been for the old compiler that shipped before roslyn. please please make this happen !

Feedback and Knowledge Base