I suggest you ...

Better support for JavaScript projects

Today, there are no good option to edit a javascript project (SPA/PWA using WebPack/NPM). The current Node projects are way too slow. .net core projects are fine, but is not suitable because it have C# code (creating bin and obj folders). The closest to a good javascript project I could find was a C# Shared project. Intellisense works fine, ReSharper works fine and it's blazing fast. But feels like a hack and there is no integrated build on VS (I must have a prompt opened all the times to check errors and keep the live reload functioning).

Suggestion:
1) A project type that works exactly like C# Shared Projects (or, better yet: allow to "open folder" in a solution (one solution with a C# .net core back-end project + one folder opened for our client project).

2) Make a custom build system that allows us to plugin builders. It's kinda like Eclipse: you can write your own command line to be executed when you hit the run button. We could then run a webpack with live reload on Debug mode and then run a webpack --release in Release mode. Don't forget to provide means to script the publish of those projects (for instance: when I publish a .net core project to Azure, I must run a command line batch file to compile a webpack project and then copy the results to the wwwfolder before the publish... this kind of thing should be easily implemented in Visual Studio (perhaps a new type of project: MSBuild Projects)

3) During development, linked folders are a must, but Windows can't handle them well (it misses git projects and barely works at all in Visual Studio). VS could make the trick for us monitoring linked files and copying them on build (today, VS have linked files and folders, but they exists only on project level, not on disk! It would be nice if that "Copy files to output folder" were available in linked file so, when we Debug or Run, those linked files are actually copied to the output folder, making all the process transparent to the underlying platform (i.e.: webpack).

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
JCKödel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JCKödel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW: Visual Studio Code is unbearable for us who choose "non orthodox" ways of working (example: I like my { on new lines, but there is no plugin that does that in CSS/SASS for VS). Also, there is no good way to format a vue file on VSCode.

VSCode is a bare minimal editor, leaving plugins to the community. The quality of those plugins are unacceptable, making Visual Studio the most complete and reliable option, yet.

Feedback and Knowledge Base