I suggest you ...

Set default source location when analysing crash dump PDB

When I analyze a crash report dump file (.dmp) coming from a release build from a client it's quite painful to locate the source file.
For example, the release build has been generated on a build server, and the PDB contains the path of the files when the build occurred, something like: "C:\buildserver\[any_random_hash_may_change_everytime]\Project1\Src\SourceFile.cpp". Locally on my machine, I have the same sources always located at "D:\Release\Project1\Src\SourceFile.cpp".

The problem is that each and every time I debug a crash report, I have to manually search for the file (and the dialog is quite horrible since we can't paste the folder path). This is a terrible waste of time.

I see one possible way to solve the issue for my use case: if I open the dump file (.dmp) into a Visual Studio where I have an opened solution (actually, the solution of my release build), then the debugger should be smart enough and see that my solution contains a "SourceFile.cpp" having the same name than in the PDB and so it open it.

In the same idea, the application is linked to Qt which was build from one folder which is not the same install folder I have on my machine. In this case, both paths are known and somehow fixed. In this case, a solution can be to propose a pattern matching with regex: "C:\Qt\BuildFolder\*" => "C:\Qt\InstallFolder\*".

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google