I suggest you ...

Silverlight 6

Please do work on Silverlight next version. I feel Silverlight is great tool which has best in cross development web experience. Although you guys are spending time on HTML5 and other stuffs, but I feel it takes years to bring HTML 5 is not flexible enough like Silverlight.

One more thing, as a Silverlight developer it was only my chance to replace flash from my projects, but as you guys stopped working on it; I feel that I wasted my time in learning Silverlight.

Do start working on Silverlight, Only this will get you back in increasing footprints in website business

15,574 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VIshal PatilVIshal Patil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Silverlight support and future development work

While Microsoft continues to support Silverlight, and remains committed to doing so into 2021, there will be no new development work except security fixes and high-priority reliability fixes.

Silverlight out-of-browser apps will work in Windows 10. Silverlight controls and apps will continue to work in Internet Explorer until October 12, 2021, on down-level browsers and on the desktop.

Our support lifecycle policy for Silverlight remains unchanged:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Silverlight&Filter=FilterNO

As was stated in this blog post, the need for browser extensions including ActiveX controls and Browser Hosted Objects has been significantly reduced by the advances of HTML5-era capabilities which also produce interoperable code across browsers. On the web, plugin-based architectures, such as Silverlight, are moving towards modern open standards, such as HTML5, CSS and JavaScript which are supported on a wide variety of browsers and platforms.

For future development, we recommend modernizing Silverlight applications to HTML5 solutions which provide broader reach across platforms and browsers. In addition to the solutions listed in the blog post above, there is a free .NET Technology Guide eBook to help with migration planning located at: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/E/16E9FC39-0D61-4DB8-AADE-9F6950B8BF49/Microsoft_Press_eBook_NET_Technology_Guide_for_Business_Applications.pdf

The Microsoft Team

691 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason Richard CraigJason Richard Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am confident we will see C# and XAML in the web browser soon because Apple, Google, Microsoft and the Mozilla foundation have agreed on the WebAssembly specification for the in browser low level virtual machine.

One can now use C/C++ to create rich internet applications (see the Unity 3D tanks demo).

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C# is everywhere and finally XAML too (even on Tizen if I remember well). XAML Standard 1.0 that was just announced is very promising for porting Silverlight apps

• Jason Richard CraigJason Richard Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HTML5 and modern JS UI frameworks can not be complied and be run as native code at run time.

HTML5 and JavaScript will always be hack garbage technologies because at run time the code is interpreted and is orders of magnitude slower than native code.

They will never run as efficiently as a CLR / WPF application, and never will. Ever.

• Yonatan DaniyelYonatan Daniyel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it back and make it smarter!! HTML5 and modern JS UI frameworks will take years to catch up to what Silverlight achieved over 10 years ago!

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys (and girls) Never go with a Microsoft technology again. Even .Core. MS does not even use .NET for there own apps for IOS and Android. I'm going back to Delphi with there cross platform FMX. They are still backwards compatible all the way back to W95.

• Raja VenkateshRaja Venkatesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of date I feel there is more reason to revive Silverlight maybe with new name, iron out its shortcomings and come with bang. Strong reason as follows. In Xamarin, in addition to targeting Windows, Droid, & iOS, another target of Browser will be a honeypot. Moving into Dockers & Containers, Non-Microsoft OS, etc. it makes good sense. Think again Microsoft. We are now in 2017.

• GG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe as developers you think that silverlight is good , and maybe it is good if used by good developers. But as a user , using program which runs on silverlight , i can say you , it is the biggest garbage i have ever had to work with.

I see the centennial bridge uses an installer analyzer and then make docker container to isolate one's app. It could support both constrained Silverlight OOB and full trust OOB SL apps too (access in the isolated container that is only)

I've read they would work to support ClickOnce installers, so they should look into Silverlight's OOB installer

They could have Silverlight preinstalled in Windows 10 to avoid dockerizing the SL installer too. If people need specific SL version they could have option to dockerize its installer too

I see the centennial bridge uses an installer analyzer and then make docker container to isolate one's app. It could support both constrained Silverlight OOB and full trust OOB SL apps too (access in the isolated container that is only)

I've read they would work to support ClickOnce installers, so they should look into Silverlight's OOB installer

They could have Silverlight preinstalled in Windows 10 to avoid dockerizing the SL installer too. If people need specific SL version they could have option to dockerize its installer too

• damiandamian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

from the fundamentals, will never use HTML5 or JS. I have a big project I need errors caught at compile time not runtime.. need types. Seems WebGL is making an incredible advance with million particles on shaders, while I rarely see HTML5. ( and it doesn't work on my lumia when I do) They can never be secure, an infinite loop on a shader will hang the system, and sometimes causing data loss, reboot. worse than SL.

Ultimately you want apps in the MSFT Store? if I survive this, I will use c++ , maybe start supporting other platforms, This myth: C++ is the only valuable software?? Every Unity game is written in C#, or customized as such. my system is similar. graphics on SL , and shaders, the rest is managed for rapid get the game out before its not fresh.

No. I never want to go back, and c# and WPF, the perfect choices for multiple form factors, in mobile. i have lost all my staff when COM is expected of them. And, because I trusted you. they were betrayed, they left me. I had to suck it up, as the owners of 14 man years of code. That big red NO.. is disrespect to the developers that put you were you are falling from. Don't you want ot be liked? don't you want to make customers happy? don't you want to succeed? the windwos app store is still, full of junk. windows 7 is still have the user base so yea I need to make an app from my Silverlight and install it. its still a small install, works on macosx,and is ok.. But the shaders support.....that's the thing. we need that ..I don't know anything more... it might be an easy fix as well. Trying not to rant, but you may have have killed me as a business owner by dropping SL.. and just losing my trust. I want shader level 3. and shader edit debug for c#. for now. 2021? really? small print lets you back out when the last browser drops it, I read.

• damiandamian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we just need little fixes like supporting shader model 3 shaders, HLSL building ( as withany c# application) , not the shader model 2 which is nearly impossible to use due to its tiny limit on instructions and other isseus.

this will keep us on XAML and C# and soon be putting quality in the app store.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All .net developers complain how bad/unproductive/boring is html/javascript compared to WPF/Silverlight/UWP.

Provide us the great tools we expect from Microsoft and extend .NET WPF/UWP to run in browser HTML5 / WebAssembly.

The guy presenting the Centennial Bridge at Build didn’t seem to know what a Silverlight OOB (Out of Browser) app is when asked if Centennial supports them

They could have even provided a way to wrap as UWP an existing precompiled XAP that is OOB-enabled without having its source code

Btw if they had Silverlight runtime install as Windows10 component, or if Centennial bridge can wrap SL installer’s system changes in Docker container, one can make their own Centennial app containing a WPF project that hosts a WebBrowser control using IE engine to host Silverlight content from the web (like a hosted web app does with the Edge engine).

Could maybe even ship the XAP in the app like Hybrid Mobile Web Apps do and remotely update that XAP (either via custom code or via classic OOB update code)

• Suadia WuSuadia Wu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on! re-programing the project? Are you guys insane? We need tools to convert silverlight to html5 canvas ...I think vs team can think about that~

HTML5+Javascript development and debugging is a nightmare compared to Silverlight - add to this the deployment where each browser has its own bugs/quirks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

now that you have buy Xamarin to run XAML apps cross-mobile, make them also run on browser to be real universal applications

• Marc RousselMarc Roussel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous First, sorry if my English is bad, well the best for all, of course is a converter from Silverlight to HTML 5 which is PERFECT however we do not live in a perfect world. Meanwhile I suggest to vote here : http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/10027638-create-a-ubiquitous-net-client-application-develo

That's an ongoing effort to bring something out of Microsoft to help us make what we all dreamed off a while ago.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35

Feedback and Knowledge Base