I suggest you ...

Add option to control automatic test discovery after builds

I am working on solution that contains 13 000+ unit tests split between several (10+) projects. I am trying to use TDD, but after each build there is a long time window while Test Explorer tries to discover ALL the tests in my solution.
I need an option to disable/enable the automatic test discovery and a new command to trigger it manually whenever I need to refresh the test list. This will save me literally hours each day.

284 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Viktor Zhivkov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Casper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely useless to work test driven. Too much time in auto discovery! Too often autodiscovery, and too often rebuilds are needed.

• Bill Hoag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is a pain point for my team, particular with respect to Google Test Adapter. I don't know how VS currently does [re]discovery, but perhaps as mentioned in another suggestion, caching test discovery results along with updating the cache based on just the files most recently built ought to greatly speed up the discovery time, and make TDD feasible.

• Arjan van muyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correct, 99-100 times I just want to run ONE test: The test I'm working on.

I typically do "run one test" many times a day, so any delay due to unnecessary discovering of existing tests is unwanted, because those delays add up.

Manual test discovery is what I want

• Nathan Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed I spend more time waiting for tests to be discovered than actually running tests. Up to 30 seconds sometimes, just to discover tests, even when I am right-clicking a test that was already previously discovered. 30 seconds to discover the test - 30 ms to actually run it.

Not acceptable.

• Mark Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Viktor, I discovered that if you close your test explorer and other test related windows it no longer runs the discovery this is currently working for me at least.

• Geetika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. Discover tests take 1 hour for same test run. There should be option to disable discover test as I am not adding/debugging a new test.

Feedback and Knowledge Base