I suggest you ...

Add auto save to external tools

I have several external tools that process the file currently opened in the editor and modifies it. A few versions back, whenever I ran an external tool, VS would save all documents first before running the tool. This way, if I had changes not yet saved, they would not get lost.

Then that behaviour was removed in VS 2010, external tools run without saving the file first. At which point I was told all I had to do was write macros that would save before running the tool. So I did. But now in VS 2012, you have removed macros. Are you trying to force me to use a different editor?

If I find another way to accomplish this in VS 2012, are you going to take it away from me in VS 2014?

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Patrick Tousignant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nicholas Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. There's no way to get it to save automatically now that macros are gone. When they were removed, Microsoft recommended using add-ins as an alternative, but those were depreciated in VS 2013. There really should be at least an option somewhere to allow it to save before running the external tool...

Feedback and Knowledge Base