I suggest you ...

Print a Report of Database Schema Differences from Schema Compare

Currently when you run a Schema Compare through the Database Tools in Visual Studio 2012 you have the option to Generate a SQL Script or Run the Updates against the Target Database Directly.

I propose an additional option, a Printable "Report View" that shows all the objects and the differences. This could be as simple as being able to print the grid (expanded) that is generated from within Visual Studio along with some basic statistics such as:
1) The number of Total Objects Compared
2) Number of Objects in Source that are not in Target
3) Number of Objects in Target that are not in Source
4) Number of Objects to be updated in the Target

79 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rob Bihun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
- The Visual Studio Team

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Renato Buda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is really needed in order for Schema Compare to be a serious tool.
    I need to show people the changes that would be made and get their comments. Visual Studio does not seem to have any workaround other than grabbing a screenshot - and that only works when the changes fit on 1 screen.

• Manprabodh Singh Sandhu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a basic feature that every single team needs in 99.9% of cases where scheme deployments are needed.Such a shame that it isn't being given priority.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The MS response to this suggestion is a shame. Visual Studio has become a good tool to manage database schema. Schema comparison is essential when attempting to assess the impact of change. The hard work has been done!! The objects have been identified and the action required determined, we can see that in the GUI, its now going to take days to give Management the numbers!!

• Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a great enhancement; I prefer the VS Schema compare over other tools, but at the moment I make screen shots of the differences; it would save some time to be able to just create a listing of the objects in the compare-list.

• Michael Freidgeim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason of closing the suggestion doesn't respect users.

What do you expect after the words, that VS Team didn't have time to implement request?
    "Sorry, we hope to fit it in a future release". Why should you close the request, that not implemnted yet?
    "If the suggestion is still relevant" Does VS Team incapable to determine, was suggestion implemnted or not by themselves? Or due the new implementation it became not applicable any more?
    "See if there’s another suggestion that’s similar" if there are similar suggestions, should VS Team merge them or close one as a duplicate of another.
    "Or open a new suggestion". Users spent time to write a suggestion and vote for it, and now they asked to do it again. Why? To create a duplicate with 0 votes? If you close it once, you will close it again.The message to users is "it's a waste of time, VS team will ignore the suggestion anyway"

It will be better to keep the suggestion opened and allow votes to grow until it will be important enough to be implemented. Look at stack overflow, they close duplicate, but not low voted questions.

• Shon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the other compare tools I have used over the past 15 years have this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base