I suggest you ...

Fix XDesProc

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351039/fix-xdesproc.html
Fix XDesProc.exe so it doesn't hang everyone's systems.

Just wondering, are you deliberately ignoring this bug, which has been reported by hundreds of developers?

94 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Rest assured, we’re not deliberately ignoring the bug. Far from it, in fact. The issues with XDesProc are tricky, as I’m sure you’d understand. While the reliability is getting better and we’re seeing a decrease in reported issues, we’re still making some large steps to improve it further. Naturally, if you’ve got any details on what you were doing when XDesProc caused issues, we’d love to hear them and make sure that our efforts address the issues. You can report these issues using the “Report a problem” feature on the Help menu in Visual Studio, and also make sure that you’ve configured Visual Studio to send us crash reports (On the Help menu, select Settings under Send Feedback)

In the meantime, I can lay your fears to rest and assure you that we’ve redoubled our efforts to make the XAML designer the best designer anywhere.

-Dante Gagne
Visual Studio Program Manager

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using log4cpp. When I run my app, then close it down, I cannot delete my log files because XDesProc is locking them. What gives? This isn't even related to building or opening project files. Then, when I do another Run, sometimes the logger creates another log file because the one is in use

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using Community 2017. My build fails because a file it's trying to copy over is used by another process (XDesProc). This happens if and only if I have had a certain XAML file open at any point even if I had since closed it.

• Bryan White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still problem with VS2013 Update 5.
    Cannot compile(link) my program 'cos DLL can't be deleted. Closed VS2013 but still cannot delete my DLL as 'This action can't be completed because the file is still open in XDesProc.exe - Close the file and try again' HOW CAN I CLOSE THE FILE??
    Windows 8.1, Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013 Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still a constant hassle with VS2013 Update 4.This is becoming a serious problem for WPF's acceptance among dev's.

• Ricardo Campos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could opt out of the xaml designer entirely and easily. There are some workarounds, but they generally end up with you having to "OK" an error message every time you open a xaml file.

• Jeff Kotula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree! If it wasn't for intellisense I'd be using notepad++ to edit XAML. The visual designer is worthless for anything that isn't trivial anyway...

• Miro Hrabcak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I installed TuneUp Utilities 2013 version 13.0.2020.9 ( for Windows 7) and the big problem with XDesPro
    disapperared!!!!!!!!!. My friend uses TuneUp Utilities and his VS 2012 works OK a long time!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base