I suggest you ...

Add F# Scripting to SSIS

SSIS currently has VB and C# languages for writing script components. I think it would be really nice to add F# support too especially with it being a very declarative expression based language good at manipulating data.

60 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeremy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeremy Marx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Posted earlier today on "The .NET Language Strategy" blog post, about F#:

"As a general purpose language it does see quite broad and varied usage, but it certainly has a center of gravity around web and cloud services, tools and utilities, analytic workloads, and data manipulation."

Analytic workloads. Data manipulation. The .NET team sees it; it's time the SSIS team sees it, too.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone tried to develop a custom scripting component that accommodates F# scripting?

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. Why not use the most powerful and fastest scripting language in Microsoft's VS suite to author these components. I can't believe it's not an option already.

Feedback and Knowledge Base