I suggest you ...

Native multi-editing (multiple cursors and selections) support

Multiple selections/cursors in Sublime Text is by far the most useful editor feature I have in my toolbox. Using search and replace in Visual Studio is slow and unwieldy in comparison and I find myself frequently copying blocks of text into Sublime Text just to perform versatile edits using multiple cursors, after which I copy the result back into Visual Studio.

A future version of Visual Studio would win huge points with this feature alone.

1,328 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nathan Ridley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of Visual Studio 2017 Update 8 Preview 3 (15.8 Preview 3), we have introduced native support for Multi-Caret editing and selection. You can find all features/actions under the Edit > Multiple Cursors menu when you have focus in the editor. Currently, you can insert multiple carets, add a selection on the next match, and add selections on all matches. We look forward to hearing your feedback as we continue to improve this feature!

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Xavier Poinas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new feature added is minimal... dare I say useless. It doesn't support copy and paste properly, doesn't support adding carets at the end of each line, selecting all occurrences, etc. Multiple carets have been nailed in editors like Sublime Text and VS Code, how hard is it to copy their feature sets?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this implemented as I have it in vs code [alt]+left mouse button. Otherwise I might just as well search and replace to have the same if not better functionality. Nice try though :)

Complete swing and a miss. I really fail to see how this is any different than what VS already had.

Open VSCode and use Ctrl+Alt+Up(or down), then notice how you can move the cursor with the arrow keys, or hold Ctrl and move the arrow keys, or hold Ctrl+Shift and move the arrow keys and ALL cursors move in place.

• Jason Yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we have full multi line cursor that works like Sublime Text and Visual Code?
        Middle click and drag, and navigate with multiple cursor by default

• savaged commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice start. Ideally it should allow one to decide where to put each extra caret by something like ctrl+click

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just talked with a MSFT employee with my feedback about this.
        From our call the features that I would love to see are these:
        1. Implement proper backend inside editor for multi caret support
        2. Publish this backend support as an API for extensibility, so that we extensions creators can leverage it and make other features quicker as an extension with the posibility of integrating it inside VS eventually
        3. Select next word - This would select next occurence of already selected word and place new caret at it
        4. Split selection into carets - This would split selection into lines and placed carets on each line
        5. Unselect next word - This would unselect and removed last added caret
        For me 1+2 is the bare minimum, which you should publish ASAP and 3-5 are secondary features, which could be made first as an extension and then maybe implemented into VS itself.

• Eric Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will it be as comprehensive as the VS Code "Multi-cursor and selection" tools? Where can I sign up to be notified of early access?

MixEdit is a (bad - but working) alternative. As of January 2018, this feature is not in VS2017

• Samir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use MixEdit extension, It works well, but seems it is discontinued. It would be nice if that was build-in feature

• Kieren Johnstone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fantastic feature in VS Code and many other editors which is missing from VS itself. @Juliano, the functionality available is nowhere near that of other editors.

• Juliano Penna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In fact this is currently working.

I had trouble because of the Alt keybinding with Click (I think is something related to Ubuntu OS).

You should try changing the key to Ctrl in Selection > Switch to Ctrl+Click for Multi Cursor.

Didn't miss any of the stuff I had previously after switching to Ctrl.

• Dave Parizek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin Any updates on whether or not Visual Studio will add it? You have been evaluating since April.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base