I suggest you ...

Implement XSLT 3.0 for .Net

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351285/implement-xslt-30-for-net.html
Fully support XSLT 3.0 in .Net (Including XQuery 3.0 and XPath 3.0)

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/

2,817 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

146 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Laurijssen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have reverted to a third party xslt2.0 processor for code generation of classes in visual studio and then put transform executable as prebuild step:

XmlTransform.exe -xml:actions.xml -xsl:actions.xsl -o:ActionsFactory.cs

string splitting is *so much* easier with xslt2.0 that it was worth the extra steps

It would be great to have the ability for code generation out of the VS box

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are so many benefits to using XSLT 3.0, I am amazed that Microsoft has not adopted XSLT version 2.0 which to this date has been released 9 years ago. Please include support!

• David Hogeling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT drives businesses. ,NET should still drive them by keeping up with modern standards such as Xslt 3.0.

• Wesley Kenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

move forwars in time and KEEP UP WITH THE CURENT. We're living in 2016 and no more in the 90's you dumb *****

I have used the XSLT 1.0 from the early .NET framework 1.1. But I hand crafted the style sheets. I have wanted to used one of the designer tools so my support staff could create the style sheets, but they tend to want to use XSLT 2.0 or later. This leaves us have to manually hand craft the sheets again. It seems that this support for later versions should be included.

• comdiv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 XLST 3.0 is very usefull on serialization/doc-generation tasks, and it's very strong even when JSON is main intermediate specification, while JSON<->XML transformation is trivial.

XSLT 1.0 is VERY limited, and having XSLT 2.0 would help a lot. XSLT 3.0 would be even better. The number of applications for XSLT 2.0 and beyond are huge, I don't understand why .NET is so far behind.

• Nathan Pettit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to use some XSLT 2.0 that I put together in XML Spy (2010 by the way) and I can't run that in .NET 4.0? Seriously???!!! I haven't used XSLT in a while, but I can see that .NET won't be the way I'm going to handle this scenario. Super frustrating.

Really? XSLT 1.0 is still being used! Assign one of your interns to implement this. It shouldn't be that hard.

I would love to see XSLT 2.0 or 3.0 implemented in .Net. I'm using XSLT 1.0 as a custom view engine in ASP.NET MVC. I find it's easier to reuse templates in XSLT than Razor. I had originally tried using Saxon XSLT 2.0, but there were problems with it closing the stylesheets cleanly. I ended up going with XSLT 1.0.

Why does everyone re-invent the wheel when it comes to templating languages?

At minimal, if 3.0 is too far out, Microsoft should upgrade .NET framework to support XSLT 2.0 because we all know XSLT 1.0 was severely missing many important features.

Feedback and Knowledge Base