I suggest you ...

Add ability to ignore updates for individual Extensions and Updates

I have a number of extensions installed, and want them to be kept up to date. As such I don't want to "Disable automatic detection of available updates".

However, I have one extension that I do not want to update (Visual Assist X). I bought a licence for it, and am repeatedly prompted to update to a later version. My licence does not cover this later version - updating will move me onto a free trial for a limited period.

I'd like to be able to right click on the update and say "ignore this update" - like I can in the Windows Update interface.

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Graham Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joe Wirtley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this implemented. I want to ignore "updates" to Windows Phone 8.1 Emulators when there is no possibility whatsoever that I will want to install it. So I have to wade through all of the junk to see what actually needs to be updated.

• Matt Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this would be useful. I have a somewhat similar scenario - my company's legal department has only approved one particular version of WiX Toolset for our use. I constantly get bugged to update from that version to the latest version.

An implementation like William Bosacker described on Oct. 10 2013 would be ideal - in fact it sounds similar to what you can do in Windows Update if you don't want a particular update: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-or-hide-optional-updates-on-windows-vista/

• William Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In that context, it would be a good idea. If implemented, there should be some visual way of discerning which add-ons in the list have the "Ignore Updates" flag set (like a lock next to the checkmark), as you may later change your mind and forget that updates are being ignored.

• Graham Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@william I will try raising this with Whole Tomato who make this add-on. I agree that Microsoft shouldn't care about whether or not an add-on has been paid for or not.

However, I still think it should be possible to ignore updates for specific extensions. Maybe the version of an extension installed have works fine and the user doesn't like the changes made in the new version. It should be possible to opt-out of updates without opting out of all updates.

• William Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that this is more of an add-on issue, as opposed to a Visual Studio issue. I had a similar problem with KendoUI. I reported the issue to Telerik, who later fixed the issue. I don't believe that Microsoft would be able to know whether or not you have a paid version of an add-on, nor should they care, and then check a setting to ignore updates that aren't covered by your license.

Feedback and Knowledge Base