I suggest you ...

Make the installation of Visual Studio light-weight and fast

Installing Visual Studio takes too long

There's a lot of stuff that the VS installer installs that I probably never is going to use.

Make modules and packages install when needed. The Office-install has had this option for ages, where you can deceide whether you want to install a feature a) now, b) when needed, or c) never. That way the basic install will probably be a lot faster and it will take up less space on our drives (how many terabytes of never-used-features do you think VS is accumulating worldwide?).

I belive you already have the package system to handle this (nuget), so eat some of your own dogfood and show us that the package system can handle app installs as well :)

1,914 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kjetil KlaussenKjetil Klaussen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Just keep things minimalist and lightweight  ·   · 
    PathikPathik shared a merged idea: Visual Studio Community 2015 installation takes hours to complete  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Reduction of installation time for Visual studio  ·   · 
    Saad ShamsaeeSaad Shamsaee shared a merged idea: visual studio setup makes very long time to be complete  ·   · 
    PoopPoop shared a merged idea: Seriously think about fixing this over-bloated peice of junk installer. It takes WAY. TOO. LONG. and never seems to work right.  ·   · 
    VladislavVladislav shared a merged idea: Make the installation FASTER  ·   · 
    ArmanArman shared a merged idea: This is chuj(****). why the **** an IDE should be 7 gig???  ·   · 
    Peter LewisPeter Lewis shared a merged idea: Visual Studio installation sequencing guide Microsoft App-V 5  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: stop visual studio eating hard drive space  ·   · 
    EdEd shared a merged idea: Stop forcing unneeded modules and SDKs  ·   · 
    Дмитрий АрхипенкоДмитрий Архипенко shared a merged idea: Install lightweight Visual Studio IDE by choosing some settings when install  ·   · 
    Matt WeingaertnerMatt Weingaertner shared a merged idea: Light Version of Visual Studio  ·   · 
    ScottScott shared a merged idea: Ability to customize components of Visual Studio Express installer to download to reduce file size bloat  ·   · 
    Justin ChaseJustin Chase shared a merged idea: Remove All Features from VS (and make them optional extensions)  ·   · 
    Odoardo M. CalamaiOdoardo M. Calamai shared a merged idea: Make the MsiInstaller more Friendly and Clean without the bad habit of leave waste User space of clobbered data  ·   · 
    Pawel PabichPawel Pabich shared a merged idea: Create a fast, lightweight version of VS that is focused on code only. Yes, remove all designers.  ·   · 
    jeffpiersonjeffpierson shared a merged idea: Make it feasible to use Visual Studio as a programmers notepad replacement  ·   · 
    Barry CarrBarry Carr shared a merged idea: Lite mode for Visual Studio  ·   · 
    SherifSherif shared a merged idea: To make Visual Studio an empty IDE.  ·   · 
    Rudi LarnoRudi Larno shared a merged idea: Use Nuget to install most of the components  ·   · 
    Martin MacPhersonMartin MacPherson shared a merged idea: Make it a lot more lightweight and modular  ·   · 

Many of you have already seen it, but we’ve released the first public preview of this work:

In Visual Studio 2015, the minimum installation size is 6GB. In the preview of Visual Studio vNext, the minimum installation size is 322MB. We’re seeing installation times in averaging three minutes or less for the core editor experience, based on our telemetry.

Visual Studio is a complex product with many options and features, so you shouldn’t expect the overall payload to magically evaporate, but the work we’ve done here should enable you to just install the components you need and to return back to the installer to add or update your environment without fear.

Expect to see updates on a regular basis as we crank up the engine; we plan to add additional features both to the installer client and to the tool bundles that it installs.

We really do covet your feedback – good and bad; and we are investing heavily in this space for Visual Studio vNext.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous +1 for making Windows Forms an optional component.

(You don't automatically include other technologies which reached the end of their lifecycles, eg. Foxpro and VB6 and J# and so on)

If there is any update, it must be truly integrated with original.
        ex: VisualStudio 2015 is 3GB, VisualStudio 2015 with update 3 is 7.5GB.

• xyzxyz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS '15' (not VS2015, but the next version, possibly VS2016 or VS2017) has a new installer that only installs what you want. Eg. if you only need C#, you'll only get that and the core stuff, so you'll install maybe 1GB instead of 10GB.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you should separate WPF and Windows Forms in the new Visual Studio 15 Installer. Most developers use either WPF or Windows Forms, but usually not both technologies together.

@James Skala: +1 for the option to install over my existing version of Visual Studio.

We are living in 2016, a time when everything gets more portable, more lightweight and easy. What is the point of stuffing billions of unnecessary tools in Visual Studio 2015? The setup took 6 hours (I only selected C++ as programming language and unchecked the rest including online update) and already aborted my antivirus, and everything that can intervene the installation, 6 HOURS on my i7 5820 GTX 980, 16GB RAM with SSD!!!!!!!!! Huh???? Do you know what that means? And that's not just it. I can't run it properly, very long initialization, painfully slow compiling, and painfully slow running. Keeps freezing everything in it and everything outside (I can't even listen to a song pfff) It's not stable, not handy, it is nothing I've ever expected it to be. You should hire some professional guys that really knows how to code regarding performance issues, keep things simple and easy, accessible for everyone. Look at you! You're microsoft! Ever wondered why developers today are leaning more to Linux and OSX? So simple, it's because on these platforms you only click a few times and it gives you RESULT! I think the only reason people stick with Visual Studio is its great debugging system. But other than that, it really leaves MUCH to be desired. Please keep that in mind. Make your customers smile instead of making them mad.

• James SkalaJames Skala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been sorely needed for years. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop, and Visual Studio (with the latest updates) took ten hours to install.

I would also like the option to install over my existing version of Visual Studio, similar to how Office 2016 installed over Office 2013.

• James FaixJames Faix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. A fresh VS installation takes forever to download and install. Remove the bloatware!

• PathikPathik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio Community 2015 installation takes hours to complete on Windows 10. It gets stuck often without giving you any hint of the problem. Please fix the issue or break it down to smaller chunks so that people can install only what they want.

Visual studio community 2015 takes on average 5 - 8 hours to install depending on machine. Please reduce this time by any means

• johnjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This looks great :)

Is it possible to create an offline installation like you can with the full VS2015 installation using the /layout switch? Or some other way. I'd like to be able to install this on a machine which has no internet connection!

• Philip ColmerPhilip Colmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really pleased to read about the work being done on VS vNext.

I sincerely hope that the option for developing UWP apps really does only install the bare minimum required. No more SQL Server, IIS, etc, etc.

• mrozmroz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS "15" preview installer is great!!!
        Would be great if you do update installer and packages from time to time (I know ver 0.1.0-20160329 has been released a week ago, but... can't wait !!)

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

copying here some comment I made on an issue on Connect site:

...speaking of loading time of VS (still amazed at how fast it launched in safemode), VS could keep track of time it took for each extension to load the last time it started and at the "installed" pane of Extensions & Updates dialog show that time for each extension (ideally allowing one to sort them by the loading time value to see which ones they might want to remove or repair if they have an issue that causes the slow startup)

• JakubJakub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's another request from programmers to Microsoft but company remain silent... Very good idea anyway.

For the same reason that my computer science teacher is only teaching the .NET framework. Why? Because ********, that's why!

• Mike ValerianoMike Valeriano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whoa... that Visual Studio VNext thing actually looks.... very promising.

I REALLY REALLY hope they do keep it small like that, and give us OPTIONS as to what install. That's probably the main thing.

For instance, at first, I'll most likely use the "new" VS only for C#. And that's exactly what I expect to be able to install: ONLY C# TOOLS. NOTHING ELSE. No Azure ****, no SQL Server, no freaking VB! ONLY C#, and if I do need something else, I can just fire up the setup again, and add it later.

If they manage to do that, I'll gladly go back to C#. Because Java is getting to my nerves, but Netbeans is everything (setup wise, startup wise) VS isn't right now.

• VladislavVladislav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main thing I like about ANY application — it installs FAST and without any errors. With Visual Studio this is not only the case, but it is a source of a gazillion troubles. First of all — it installs a ton of applications you will never want to use in first place. Why do i need all those SQL servers, all those NuGet package managers, all those stuff that ****** me off, that I delete right after the installation. It takes HOURS to install this monster and another hour to delete those things. It is so FRUSTRATING thing to do. PLEASE make it more user-friendly.

• Talley OuroTalley Ouro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue needs to be a priority for MS VS developers.VS 2015 Update 1 took more than 6 hours to complete which does not make sense.You need to make VS installation or Updates fast like others IDE.For example installation of Netbeans IDE take around 30mn and Netbeans IDE contains a lot of languages like Visual Studio.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base