I suggest you ...

Make the installation of Visual Studio light-weight and fast

What?
Installing Visual Studio takes too long

Why?
There's a lot of stuff that the VS installer installs that I probably never is going to use.

Proposal:
Make modules and packages install when needed. The Office-install has had this option for ages, where you can deceide whether you want to install a feature a) now, b) when needed, or c) never. That way the basic install will probably be a lot faster and it will take up less space on our drives (how many terabytes of never-used-features do you think VS is accumulating worldwide?).

I belive you already have the package system to handle this (nuget), so eat some of your own dogfood and show us that the package system can handle app installs as well :)

1,999 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kjetil Klaussen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re delighted to say that Visual Studio 2017 is now released, including a completely revamped installer in response to this and other feedback. The smallest installation of Visual Studio is one-tenth the size of previous versions and takes on average just three minutes to install. Build-to-build upgrades take just a minute or two. You can select a workload of your choice – we won’t install things that you’re not going to use.

To the proposal, we support in-product acquisition of components on demand. You can just hit Ctrl+Q (quick launch), type the feature you want, and we’ll take you straight into an installation experience for that feature.

Thanks for the great feature request – we hope you like Visual Studio 2017! Download it from http://visualstudio.com.

116 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Talley Ouro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue needs to be a priority for MS VS developers.VS 2015 Update 1 took more than 6 hours to complete which does not make sense.You need to make VS installation or Updates fast like others IDE.For example installation of Netbeans IDE take around 30mn and Netbeans IDE contains a lot of languages like Visual Studio.

• Anonymous Coward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the real problem is the architecture of the Visual Studio IDE. The installation is awful because the architecture is too complicated. There are too many interconnected moving parts, and too much legacy baggage. I don't think it can be fixed incrementally -- It's time for a code burning party!

Explicitly renounce compatibility with existing extensions and plugins.

Use 100% managed code. If you really need native code for something, put it in a DLL with a "C" API, and P/Invoke it.

Get rid of anything related to COM. 1995 is calling -- they want their technology back!

All VS assemblies should be "app local" -- don't use the GAC. Also, don't dribble your bits over half the filesystem.

• mroz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And, for god sake, why VS installer needs LanmanServer service for installation ??? If this service is disabled, installer fails...

• andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use and like the Modular based extensions and updates for python and node tools. SSDT as a downloadable addon works well too. Not a fan of having these options as part of the setup installer though.

Not sure about the office install 'when you need it' approach mentioned above- I had a situation with office in the past (either version 2007/2010) where the installer was broken - modification and repair just didn't work. It was **** to fix.

Can dependency resolution be more visible the way node does it with package.json or nuget package managers for example?. Probably too hard as I bet there is a ton of com/registry stuff.

Seems to me that challenge goes beyond initial install though - if something doesn't work and a repair is called for e.g. intellisense for razor views not working, then how robust and easy is a repair to do?

As far as where VS is physically installed I really like the way eclipse does it, basically unzipped into a folder and run from there. You have complete control and choice.

The approach used by android sdk manager to update and add packages although time consuming is more bearable to use as you can choose what to install on demand and view the entire process. Much easier to live with.

I think this installer / module re-evaluation should be reviewed in the context of the licensing module and what the product should be in the future and to whom. Maybe pay for added modules/features as and when we need them moving away from the tiered sku idea completely.

Visual Studio Code is superb for angular development but I still like a full IDE!
    The keynote demo looked to be on the right track.

• Arman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why the **** an IDE should be 7 gig??? why the **** microsoft one can't make a light and useful tool? if u ask about good examples i suggest you to look at netbeans or Eclipse. they are both under 1 gigabyte and much more user friendly. why the **** many other products are installed with it? i just want a ******* IDE. why "windows ******* kits" is installed as well. a ******* IDE should just be a ******* IDE. when you want to embed everything in one thing, you end up with stupid thing like visual sudio. I used it only and only because i have to.

• mroz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somasegar has said goodbay to MS, maybe it's good time to make major changes in VS installation process and some system integration rules.

1. Do something with "c:\ProgramData\Package Cache" - 5GB of cab-s and .msi-s. Let us choose whether Installer should keep cache packages on HDD or get packages from source ISO/DVD or download packages when necessary.

2. Let us to exclude all SQL Server stuff, except SQL Server Compact Edition which you use for IntelliSense

3. Keep all settings in %Appdata% instead of Windows Registry, now you write all of IDE settings to registry, despite you keep all these ones in CurrentSettings.xml

4. make VS installation less system intrusive and less registry intensive/dependent - now you register megabytes(!) of GUID, COM and other entries to the windows registry, that makes whole product very fragile and makes windows ROT. There is no other product on Windows that is able to compete with mess VS Installer makes.

• Mark Hurd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the merger of this with the suggestion to "make it possible for VS to be a Programmer's Notepad", I just want to confirm, I don't mind (much) if it takes an hour to install VS: I want the start-up time to editing a stand-alone file to be fast.

• Tim Sneath [MS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Peter - merging this one with the broader piece of feedback around making VS lighterweight and easier to install.

• Tim Sneath [MS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We hear you loud and clear. Visual Studio is a complex tool that includes multiple external dependencies (emulators, third-party SDKs, runtimes, extensions) - but many of you tell us that it takes too long to install and the default / minimum options are too heavy. This isn't an easy problem to solve, unfortunately - and has less to do with the installation technology and more to do with being able to componentize installation packages that have been integrated for many years. We've made good progress in Visual Studio 2015 - the minimum installation is significantly smaller than in previous releases and we're doing work with the out-of-box feeds to make it easier to add new features to an existing installation and update them without tampering with the core product. Merging multiple variants of this idea together so that it gets the visibility it deserves; and stay tuned for more news on this front!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Acquisition & Ecosystem Team

• Ridi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, the installation is the slowest since Visual Studio 2000. Please consider to do several things such as
    - please includes all the installation on the DVD or the ISO, includes the third party one.
    - never download the installer in the middle of installation process, it is error prone and make the user experience very worse on limited bandwidth. if it is not avoided, please give us an option to download or not to download just like SQL Server installation
    - give us estimation time left for installation, rather than just giving moving animation. You can learn how Web Platform Installer works.

• Maxim Kamalov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this suggestion is a bit obsolete, because of VS Code introduction, removing my vote.

• Peter Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it as easy to deploy Visual Studio as it is to Deploy Microsoft Office with App-V 5.

E.g Cannot find sequencing recipe for Visual Studio 2013 Express Windows Desktop Sequencing guide. Many companies are using APP-V to deploy applications and it is a Microsoft Product

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is obviously too much rubbish in there if an IDE needs over 10gb for its most basic installation. Furthermore, it should NOT be installing ANYTHING to the C: drive if another installation path is specified. The installation size was supposed to be 15gb for the components selected, which is excessive in itself, but it decided to install to C:, which only had 8gb free, rather than to F: which had 50gb free. It also refuses to remove from C: without restarting first, despite failing to install everything. There is no option to remove it without doing so.
    Please trim the excess from the files, so that it has a reasonable footprint. Allow different components to be selected, so that, for example, a C++ developer doesn't have VB components eating space. And fix the install location. Sometimes simple isn't best. It's an IDE for programmers, I think that putting in some more complex choices can be accepted here, most will know what they're doing and be happier to customise their installation.

• Eric Skaggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support this. I've gone back and forth between Notepad++ and Sublime Text for years. Each has its pros/cons and I'd really like to see Visual Studio Code become my go-to text editor and bridge that gap. As a developer, I typically have one or more running Notepad++ instances and it would ideal to have one lightweight, robust text editing tool.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company (and customers) use Windows 7. Why do I have the options of Window Store Apps, Windows Phone 8.1, Lightswitch, SQL, etc.

Please stop installing updates and downloading SDKs for technology that I will never use. Give me the option to say NO to these updates.

• Михаил Басюк commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think VS have little different concept, this solid product that allow you a lot of features; When you not use some of them - you always can filter this, or use custom tools, for creating new project, only with c# or only with js.

• JhoneDoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why i must install Express Edition for losers and students? If I buy a Ultimate Edition and Why i can not remove VB from it? I want to get options! Not Everything's at once.
    Where you can check to not install VB lang and many solution for this lang? - not impossible now! I use already on 101% :)

• Михаил Басюк commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have already Visual Studio Express for Desktop\Web; Also you can disable all things you want;
    Just use that you already have on 100%;

• Дмитрий Архипенко commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If i want only coding on c# and i dont want have not needed tools for example : TeamExplorer or DataBase tools - for this reason i can open Git / SQL Server Management Studio.
    Why i must install this? And some of this tools loaded resources when opening IDE.
    Add nuget-ide plugins for this actions!

I want to cancel all checkbox tools what i dont need when installing IDE.

PS : I dont want see VB in Visual Studio at all places. But i cant disable this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base