I suggest you ...

In VS 2013, allow ability to run the "Change Authentication" wizard AFTER project is created

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351297/in-vs-2013-allow-ability-to-run-the-change-authent.html
VS 2013 has a "Change Authentication" feature invoked when you create a project.

You cannot run it standalone and worse of all you cannot run it after the project has been created.

Consider e.g. having a VS 2012 project and wanting to upgrade to VS 2013 and use AAD instead of ADFS.

Not a new project so can't use the "Change Authentication" wizard. Never used AAD before so no idea what the WIF constructs are!

Or wanting to migrate a build from Test to Prod. You do not want to manualy update the web.config, figure out the certificate thumbprint etc.

This feature was available in VS 2010 (FedUtil) and VS 2012 (Identity and Access Tool).

721 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    nzpcmad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments. I work on the ASP.NET tooling team and I wanted to let you all know that we are very interested in enabling this. Right now we are working on some support that will enable adding/removing auth to be much easier. After that work is done we are hoping to enable a way to add (and potentially remove + replace) the auth for an ASP.NET project.
    I don’t have permissions to change the status here, but I will ask that it gets updated to Under Investigation. I don’t want to mark it as started because we are still doing some infrastructure changes to enable it. I’m hoping we can start the actual work in a couple of months but I can’t say for sure until we get past the current set of feature work.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments. I work on the ASP.NET tooling team and I wanted to let you all know that we are very interested in enabling this. Right now we are working on some support that will enable adding/removing auth to be much easier. After that work is done we are hoping to enable a way to add (and potentially remove + replace) the auth for an ASP.NET project.
        I don't have permissions to change the status here, but I will ask that it gets updated to Under Investigation. I don't want to mark it as started because we are still doing some infrastructure changes to enable it. I'm hoping we can start the actual work in a couple of months but I can't say for sure until we get past the current set of feature work.

Thanks,
        Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi

• bpatin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: Create a new dummy project for each host (development, test, production) that you need, then copy the appropriate sections of web.Config and FederationMetadata to the real project just before you move it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone found an applicable workaround to this? I'm trying to avoid creating a new solution and porting my existing code over

• Vlad K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Default mechanism in VS 2013 works nicely with Azure Active Directory. I wish we had wizard to switch access for existing project.

• Gaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After spending a considerable amount of time building a Windows Auth site to host internally finding out you can't reconfigure authentication to do ADFS/WAAD later was frustrating. I'm going to have to create a new project and port everything across in the hope I can get it to work.

• Lee Conlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the default authentication mechanisms in 2013. I much prefer the likes of BrockAllen.MembershipReboot

As a result I always choose "None" on the authentication options and roll my own using the above library. I find this gives me more control while at the same time removing a ton of redundant/bloated code that was the default MembershipProvider/SimpleMembership

Feedback and Knowledge Base