I suggest you ...

Ability to delay verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Hi,
Each time I open my database project, Visual studio runs a heavy process of verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Message in status bar says "Verifying your model is synchronized with your source files. Your database projects will be ready after XXXX operations are competed"

If we can have an option to delay this at build time, this can improve resource utilization on developer machine.

As, I have around 15k files in DB project this process takes a long time.

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chintak shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really??? VS.Net 2017 and that is not addressed. It is clearly hang if cache is corrupted without any way to start vs.net project. It is not "taking long time" - VS.NET hangs with 80% CPU usage on 6 cores and 64Gb of memory. There are should be at least a way to delete that cache and recreate. Not **verify*** it

• Greg L. Wright (3M) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Albeit I agree that this answer is unacceptable if the admin is saying that it's not going to be taken care of; however, if I'm reading this correctly, myself, I think he's saying that since this is a post that has been around for a long time and "they" haven't been able to get to it, and maybe they see no other votes or activity on it, then they're going to close it. Hence the advice to find another similar entry and vote on it or open it up again, if this action (by closing it) is not acceptable.

In short, I think he's saying that it's a stale topic and if it's still relevant, vote on another topic of similar context or open it up again.

I would vote on this to make it less stale, but it's locked. I too have similar issues with 7 database projects and thousands of objects and it's annoying to not have some better control over this option.

• Aman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is the problem solved? If yes, which version of Visual Studio?

Thanks

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish when I had bugs and poor performance in my code that I could just close the issue and say that it's been around forever so I'm just going to close it...

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This plus other bugs and difficulties using DB projects with legacy schemas makes me think most people at MS never use DB projects. It's been how many years and VS versions since this bug has been around? Just stop making the sync process lock the UI thread.

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    I add that if SQL Server is not running at the opening of the project (in development environment is common), Visual Studio locks and there is no other solution than to kill the process.
    (VS 2012)

• Colin Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The odd things bout this is that there is no high CPU or IO going on, so the poor performance is likely related to a poorly chosen method of doing this sync. I suspect the better solution here is to review how this sync is being done and to streamline/refactor the code.

I agree that this is very annoying, and is a significant time sinkhole for our team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base