I suggest you ...

Make Visual Studio per-monitor/multi-monitor DPI aware

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351305/make-visual-studio-per-monitormulti-monitor-dpi-aw.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd464646
http://imgur.com/qAiVw1Q,eVRIBlZ

When dragging VS 2013.1 Express to my second monitor running at a different DPI, it becomes blurry. VS seems to be acting as if it only has support for global DPI settings instead of per-monitor settings. It would be great if VS followed the same guidelines its users are attempting to follow when it comes to developing desktop apps ;-).

1,260 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nathan Phillip Brink shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello voters!

While I don’t have concrete plans to share yet, I do want to let you know that we recently started looking into this and what will it take for us to provide better support for this scenario.

I’ll provide another update once I have more concrete information to share.

Thank you!

Ruben Rios
    Program Manager
    Visual Studio IDE Team

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry that workaround should be: Switch to Monitor #2 (!) only - start VS - switch to Dual monitor/Extend desktop - move VS to second monitor

Still an issue in 15.8.8.
        Monitor #1 125% scaling (laptop)
        Monitor #2 100% scaling

VS on monitor #2 = blurred text. I want to use Monitor #2 for development as it is much larger than my laptop, however now it's unusable.

Awkward workaround: Switch to Monitor #1 only - start VS - switch to Dual monitor/Extend desktop - move VS to second monitor

• Nathan Phillip Brink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gweltaz If your System DPI changes or apps which are only System DPI aware are blurry on your main monitor, you only need to log out and log back in to get apps to see the new System DPI. On my laptop, I can cause the System DPI to be out of sync with my monitor by simply having my laptop’s lid closed when it reboots and automatically signs in (using the “Automatically finish setting up a PC after an update or restart” option).

• Gweltaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still a problem in Preview 3, but, as said in the title of this report https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/25097/font-is-blurry-due-to-not-supporting-mixed-mode-dp.html , a computer restart unblurred-it.

I had a 125% dpi scale on my main-only screen, switched down to a proper 100% dpi, and a headache came after a couple of Visual Studio hours.
        After a restart, the sharp font text reads totally better. :)

• Dan Neely commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ryan O'Connor @Alexander Bocharov Occasionally slipping expected ship dates is the price that any team will pay for going agile and releasing features as they're done instead of in infrequently released monoliths with massive amounts of testing scheduled between when feature dev is expected to be done and the scheduled release date is set. You can hide the reality by refusing to give public ETAs and only commenting when something is release worthy, but I for one would prefer getting expected dates even though features occasionally turning out to be harder or more time consuming than expected means that some times the ETAs will slip.

• Ryan O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why was this issue pushed back to Q4? Visual studio is still unusable if you have additional monitors since the Windows 10 Creators update, and there is no Microsoft workaround suggestions. You should get them to rollback the update piece that affected visual studio having blurry fonts in the meantime since it's still another half year before the issue is started. Oh wait, they probably wrote those updates using visual studio and so won't be able to read their UI anymore to do that. In the meantime I'll be dropping my enterprise subscription. See ya $5000 less per year!

• Paul Langille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An additional suggestion with this - the layouts saved should be tagged according to the layout of the monitors - so that if a secondary/tertiary monitor is reconfigured from left to right - that is made as a new layout with new coordinates needed for non-relative window placements. This allows for monitors to be connected and disconnected and have good layouts saved without the problem of child windows being orphaned on disconnected screens.

Will this fix also apply where Visual Studio 2017 is used via a Virtual Machine Connection with Hyper-V or via Remote Desktop?

I observe a similar issue using Visual Studio 2017 running under Windows Server 2012 VM on a single, high-DPI display.

Sebastian's suggestion worked for me. It also worked well for other apps suffering from same issue.

It's getting worse the more Windows 10 updates I install. Render the stuff twice the resolution and scale it down sharply, I do not care, but, please, NEVER upscale anything. That upscale approach is blind grandma crazy talk.

• Juan Fiorenzano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please solve this problem as soon as you can it is impossible to work with VS in an external monitor with lower DPI than the main monitor. I recently installed VS2017 Pro and still having the same issue

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue was posted in 2014. It is now 2018 and this is STILL not fixed?
        I mean, it's not like this is an uncommon occurrence what with developer usually working on multiple screens, including the internal laptop screen.

When will this issue be resolved? on surface pro 3 the DPI was fine and as soon as i switched to Pro 4 the dpi issue is happening

• James Hinderks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty common for developers to work on laptops with one or more external monitors connected, usually with different DPI settings. It would be great to get this fixed, since blurry fonts cause a lot of eye strain. Thanks!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base