I suggest you ...

Make System.Net.Http referenced by default in new .NET 4.5 projects

Open Visual Studio 2013 and create a new console project or class library. By default, the project will reference System.Data, System.Data.DataSetExtensions, but not System.Net.Http.

This makes no sense.

How is it more likely that I will be working with DataSets than making HTTP requests? This is 2014, not 2004.

Please update the project templates to reflect the needs of programmers today.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Paul Batum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think all that are not required should be removed. Why should you include System.Net.Http in a console app if you're not going to be making use of Http?

• Ben Voigt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes to customizable template, no to any more default references. Getting rid of most of the current default references would be good.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just migrated a 1.5 million mixed .net 3.5 and 4.0 c# application from VS 2010 to 2012, VS should a) not add references by default that are no used by the initial code for a project, b) identify and provide informational messages for unused usings at the source code file level and c) identify and provide informational messages for unused references at the project references level.
    The unused references in this 1.5 MM line system included Office .NET dlls, networking DLLS, third party libraries, custom controls, third party UI controls, etc. Each of those needed to be investigated and removed if not used. It's a direct result of each developer bringing in their pet open source libraries, build tools, code generators, etc. This added about 50% more time to the several weeks needed to upgrade from VS 2010 to 2012 including all of the re-testing by development before the solution entered QA verification.

• Ross Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this just should just be a customizable template for the user. I'm gonna know which default references I need more than anyone else.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS should only reference those .NET assemblies that are actually needed by the default project shell code. Extra references and usings should not be added.

Feedback and Knowledge Base