I suggest you ...

Provide an open API to allow us to extend Code Lens (now that Roslyn is open sourced)

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351311/provide-an-open-api-to-allow-us-to-extend-code-len.html
Please open up the API for CodeLens now that Roslyn is available to the wider public. It would allow to to do some great stuff on the local code. I would not mind a model that only works locally for now, though a server side API would be nice.

811 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesse Houwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for raising and voting for this suggestion.

At this point, we’d like to dive further into the specific needs your scenarios will have from the API. If you can spend a few minutes to answer the questions on this survey, we’d greatly appreciate it! Your answers will help us plan and prioritize the work required.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F5XRQJ7

Regards,
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • fps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another shout-out for 3rd party SCC support. Gaming Industrie is still heavily using P4 and opening the API would hopefully lead to better in-IDE p4 support.

• Jesse Houwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With TFS embracing subversion it would make sense to support svn for code lens as well.

Ohh and another few would be: * application insights information (exceptions, performance hotspots)
        * incoming changes (shelvesets)
        * I'm not a fan of other ticket systems integrations, but I can see that others may see value. Problem will probably be detecting the proper link to the code items.
        * integration in 3rd party code review systems (smartbear)
        * show code review comments of open reviews.

• Jesse Houwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideas:
        * mixed social integrations including skype, hangouts, skype for business at least. Not all teams use Skype for business exclusively, especially in open source scenarios.
        * GitHub issues integration
        * incoming changes support for git. Including origin, and pull requests (GitHub forks)
        * show compiled html help
        * SonarQube statistics
        * file level indicators for non-c#/vb
        * incoming changes for tfvc shelve sets
        * code navigation for virtual/interface methods. Goto base implementation, find all implementors
        * code health indicator (make it a feature)
        * build / Roslyn analyzer warning indicator (simple icon)
        * suppressed warnings indicator

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without Mercurial support CodeLens is practically useless for our team. Please make the API public to let CodeLens grow!

• Jowen Mei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add a filter in the "References" result of CodeLens. For instance, I want to be able to hide the references from all the tests.

• Michael S. Bendtsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other ideas for extending CodeLens is to use some of Adam Tornhill ideas from http://www.adamtornhill.com/articles/crimescene/codeascrimescene.htm where he talks about "The geography of code". Basically it uses the source control to indicate whether or not this class/method is a hot spot based on the number of revisions and the number of developers. This would signal that this piece of code is changed a lot, maybe due to bugs or that the class has a central part in the application, which in the end could lead to a buggy class. This, combining with the CodeLens Health Indicator could realy benifit.

• jason hurdlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another shout-out for 3rd party SCC support (Perforce in particular), and 3rd party issue trackers (Jira, Axosoft, etc...). Kind of silly that Code Lens wasn't built as a public API to begin with.

• Tim Lentine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few additional ideas:
        - Allow for additional integration with tools like slack or other messaging services (instead of just skype/lync)
        - As previously mentioned, support for other issue trackers would be extremely helpful as well.

• Tim Sneath [MS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks to all who have suggested this. Today the CodeLens API is not marked as public, but we recognize that there are good extensibility scenarios for this. We're taking a look at the work needed and will update this idea based on our investigations.

Tim Sneath | Microsoft

I would like to be able to extend codelens to include some virtual references via a database which collects data on some API usage.
        This way we can have an idea of API method usage right in the code so we can make more intelligent decisions about modifications to the API.

• Stéphane Erbrech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love for Codelense to be more flexible.
        i.e :
        I would like to have codelense metrics for my solution, not just for the currently open class
        Which class is touch the most in this solution?
        Which part of the solution has the most bugs associated to it?
        Which class comes in the largest checkins?
        Which part of the code takes longest to close tickets, or deliver a change?

• Andy Clarkson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks great, but I would like to use this with perforce for version control and JIRA for bug tracking.

Linking to work item in other trackers like GitHub, Jira, ect. on project or solution level would be even better. I'm working on some projects which use different issue trackers.
        Since most of them use a REST based approach, a url and a mapping setup would be sufficient to start accessing those trackers.

BTW, really great decision to join Premium and Ultimate into Enterprise for a much more reasonably price !!!

• John Schroedl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be excellent. We use Perforce for SCC and would love to have the CodeLens level of information and integration available during development.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base