I suggest you ...

Bring back the "VISUAL" in visual studio

Visual studio used to look really great. However, everything about the 2012/13/14 interface looks.. amateurish.

-The icon looks like something a 3 year old did.

-The lack of depth makes the whole thing jump into my face. Please bring back the "line work" with contrast.

We have incredibly high resolution monitors that can render beautiful images. To go all grey is such a step backwards.

In the old days people scrambled to get color monitors just to get away from the ho-hum grayness of working with a machine all day. To send us backwards is irritating at best and abusive at worst.

Please, make Visual Studio look good again.

I don't care about metro, or whatever your calling it these days. I figure it'll take 3 years for you to figure out what a mistake that is and fix it. In the meantime, let me keep the Win7 look.

Note, I wouldn't post anything if I didn't care. I do. I want to use the best. This, well, isn't.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Todd Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we are at it...lets use visual Blocks of code rather than text files to code? Think Blockly or LearnToMod style of coding. That would really spruce up the interface a lot and make it easier for kids to learn coding. Allow the blocks of code to be condensed or opened like regions but do it visually rather than forcing people to follow the syntax in text files. They allow libraries to be added to a project and the functions appear as blocks you can drag and drop in...which makes using objects and libraries self documenting. No more having to look up references to everything all the time.

• Victor Zakharov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I gave my remaining 3 votes to this. My favorite VS was 2010, perfect balance of contrast and features. Some stability issues - yes, but I could live with those. Problem is that to build a good new interface, one has to be the same person that built the old one. Otherwise they will build something that works for them only, without taking into consideration the idea behind the old interface. Usually happens with new/junior hires. I think Modern UI (Metro) is a good example.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 2013 interface is bland an does not function as smoothly as 2008 or 2010. The lack of color is surprising as it feels like a giant step backwards in programing as does the adjustment from black to gray (barely discernible difference) for tasks that are either enable or disabled.

• Nathan Risto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think VS2013 is the best looking VS there is. I also have no issues identifying or finding things. So it's pretty subjective as a matter of taste.

I do think they should expand their support of theming and provide more alternatives to let the user decide how they wish VS to appear however. Why can't we both have our own personal preferences on appearance implemented equally within VS.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like look of VS2008 - most intuitive interface, where every pixel is known WHAT it is: button, separator, header, scrollbar, etc. Oversimplification in VS2013 is just a cr@p - your designer has no qualification to make good usability.

• Paolo Tedesco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The metro style is (in my opinion) great for the start menu, the windows store and so on, but I agree that it does not look good at all in several applications, with Visual Studio on top of the list.

I have been using VS2012 for quite a while, and recently I switched to 2013: it's not simply generic resistance to changes in this case, the point is really that after a long time spent using the product I still think that this interface is not as good as the old one.

I got used to the icons for file types in the solution explorer, but for so many others I still have frequently to hover the mouse over the icon to read the tooltip. For example, how am I supposed to associate a clock to the pending changes in the source control system?

I think you sacrificed too much usability to the uniformity of style with windows.

Feedback and Knowledge Base