I suggest you ...

Visual Studio Extension Backup and Sync for VS 2014

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351330/visual-studio-extension-backup-and-sync-for-vs-201.html
Currently, Visual Studio allows developers to sync settings and IDE layouts in VS on multiple machines. It's a great feature but it's incomplete. Extensions are excluded from being backed up and synchronized across installations. Developers find it very tiring to download every single extension they need AGAIN just because their using VS on a different machine. However, all is not lost if the next version can just add this *tiny* feature.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Zanthor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Extension Manager is a good idea. I've tried it but it seems to work only in the VS2017 preview version 15.8.0 Preview 3.0. In the "normal" production version of VS2017 I am getting the error "The VsPackage package did not load correctly." when trying to export the extensions.

• Diogo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either an extension backup feature inside Visual Studio, or a "favorite extensions" feature for the online accounts. Or both, for extra points :D

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you ... it is really cumbersome having to write down which extensions are installed and then to manually install everything again: Especially if you're working with a team of developers, having to get new ones "on board." Everyone has to do the dozens of clicks and restarts again and again. This is EXPENSIVE, because time is money in a project. Suppose you have 10 developers and everyone has to click through all the installations on his/her own ...

Feedback and Knowledge Base