I suggest you ...

Create migration tooling for TFS

As a ALM Consulting I need good migration tooling so that I can push data from one TFS server to another.

The idea would be to create solid open source tooling that really supports consultants in the field. The TFS Integration Tools are too often a sledge hammer when a scalpel will do and the lack of investment is making them more and more irrelevant. We need to have simple tooling to move work between TFS servers, Collections, and Team Projects which is not currently supported scenarios in the Integration Tools.

230 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Martin Hinshelwood shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alessandro, this idea is not about enhancing or fixing the TFS Integration Tools, but to create a new toolbox of separate migration tools. As such the idea was declined.

Can you elaborate on the major bugs in the TFS Integration Tools, so that we can investigate whether appropriate patches exist?

• Alessandro Palmese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"It is a hard problem to solve" well, I don't agree with that: our minimum goal is just the current TFS Integration tool without some major bugs, and the ability to edit a rule avoiding the re-creation process, and IMHO it's not exactly a "hard problem to solve" for a TFS product group, simply a bug fix and a few small improvements...

• Christer Eriksson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I work at a lagre bank an we are curently looking at other solutions like GitHub for Enterprises just because Microsoft do not provide a migration tool for there ALM product.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great suggestion! Creating TFS Repository it's a hard task and If you need migration it's complicate.

• Alessandro Palmese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all definitely need a solid integration tool to let TFS installations share projects, current (and quite old) TFS Integration Tool is buggy and inefficient, with a poor user interface! I.e. you can't edit properties of an existing integration rule, you need to destroy and re-create it from scratch (or from a saved one) with a small consequence, backlog items will be DUPLICATED on BOTH servers (as they have different IDs, it simply "synchronize" everything!).
    If it'll be an Open source tool should be the best, but I'd be happy to have a consistent and affordable integration tool...

• Ricardo Serradas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great suggestion! TFS Integration Platforms used to help, but have lots of issues and seems to have no maintenance for long time. Even more with the release of new Visual Studio Versions.

As once we created a Team Project we cannot modify things like its name or Process Template, it's very useful to have a migration tool to help teams to reorganize their TFS (and the ALM Consultants who are helping them to work on it).

• Alex Islas-Montantes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also migrations from on-prem to on-prem are difficult if templates are not the same, fields are not the same between collections/projects, work item migration, etc. Having these tools out of the gate would make these migrations much easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a tool like this that works well, would make migrations so much more attractive to customers.

• Fabien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really care if it's open source or not. Microsoft should provide a tool like that. I'd like to move my on-premise TFS to VSOnline, but the partner tool doesn't work for me...

• James Waletzky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would wholeheartedly agree that as a consultant in this arena, not having a reliable and easy-to-use migration tool is a HUGE pain point. This is a huge hole in the overall TFS story, IMHO. This is especially important as we see teams migrating from on-premises to the cloud.

Feedback and Knowledge Base