I suggest you ...

Provide a Visual Studio Express for ARM based tablets like Surface RT

I was the proud owner of a Microsoft Surface RT and many times I had an Idea I had to first write it down and test it at home when I had my Surface RT with me in the train or in the plane.

I think there is a big thing missing in the whole RT tablets Idea and that is an IDE to allow developers to develop application for their beloved tablet or phone.

Let's have a Visual Studio Express version that can be deployed on Surface RT and the like and it can be restricted to developing Universal Apps, Windows Store Apps and Windows Phone App.

254 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Hakim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. With the upcoming Visual Studio ‘15’ release, we are working hard to make Visual Studio more lightweight and easier to install. However, the system requirements of Visual Studio are incompatible with Windows RT, and we have no plans to port Visual Studio to that Windows edition.

Paul Chapman
Visual Studio Program Manager

34 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • marcus #vb6-programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft Developer

>>'d like to have VB6 programming back for ARM tablets, phablets and 2in1s.
    >>Classic Visual Basic 6 on a Microsoft Surface ARM would be ideal :)

Good suggestion !

I use the VB6 programming, VBA programming and VBScript programming languages.

• Microsoft Developer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to have VB6 programming back for ARM tablets, phablets and 2in1s.

Classic Visual Basic 6 on a Microsoft Surface ARM would be ideal :)

• Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The VB6 IDE is lightweight and will run on Windows 10 for ARM devices.

Windows 10 for ARM will give us tablets with full Windows 10. They'll have long battery life, built in connectivity, and could (depending on Microsoft's pricing) be low cost.
    Technology built on WOW (Windows on Windows) will allow Win32 (x86) software to run on ARM processors.
    If your Win32 apps install and run on Windows 10 now, they should install and run on ARM too.

The first chip to be supported will be Qualcomm's SnapDragon 835.

The focus seems to be on tablets/laptops rather than phones (initially at least).

VB6 apps and the VB6 programming IDE should run fine too.

• Shiv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No visual studio run Windows Rt device which has ARM based hardware and processor.Visual studio only run on x86 and x64 processor.

• jmarolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is Windows RT applications are not allowed to launch other applications or attach to them for debugging. Visual Studio on Windows RT would need to be restricted to text editing, compiling and debugging would be impossible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that full edition of office could be installed and run on RT, why can't Visual Studio support RT too?We can play many Xbox games on RT, so there shouldn't be hardware limit. Hope Visual Studio support RT along with Windows 10.

• Ted Zheng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a student major in infomation technology and also a Surface RT owner.
    I really want to see the release of Visual Studio RT version.
    If someone asks me that why don't you purchase Surface Pro?
    I will answer that Surface RT is cheaper, lighter...and very easy to carry with.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not a fan of tablets, I find them useless from my point of view, but having visual studio on rt, that would make me consider purchasing surface :)

• Ollie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio 2014 RT
    Visual Studio Express Windows RT
    Visual Studio 2015 RT Cloud

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base