I suggest you ...

XAML Debugging

Serious WPF/Silverlight development really demands that there's the ability to debug XAML, i.e. set breakpoints, step over/into XAML, examine triggers and the likes

2,351 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hermes lanières de cuir somptueux et téléphonique dessins sont chic et classique, vous avez à admettre, il va zara vetement femme assez bien avec tout dans votre robe zara dos nu. Cette saison a encore été pleine de quelques-unes des les vetement fille 12 ans zara plus ****.
        http://www.zara-femme.com/doudoune-zara-soldes
        Ou mieux encore, choisissez un collier qui ne marche pas avoir un fermoir. Elle aime bordeaux et manteaux zara pas cher émeraude fait des coupures professionnels comme des manteau militaire femme zara fourreau et est soutenu par les pros: PANTONES couleur officielle de 2015 est le vin marsala rouge.

• abuhateemabuhateem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to include this into the product

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was trying the other day to fix the issue with WPF not supporting visual inheritance (that is deriving a XAML-based UserControl from another XAML-based one), as Silverlight does (to reuse XAML assets as linked files from a common folder at my WPF and Silverlight project versions in http://ClipFlair.codeplex.com), by comparing the generated designer code (.xaml.cs file) of WPF and Silverlight and tweeking the 2nd one to use at WPF too. I hit a roadblock because WPF requires BAML (so I probably need to add a custom compilation step to generate such since I don't want WPF to generate the backend code for me [because of the visual inheritance not being supported]).

However, through that exercise of comparing the .xaml.cs files generated for WPF and for Silverlight, I noticed the 1st one contains lots of attribute declarations that must be useful (or already used?) for XAML debugging. Wonder why the Silverlight version doesn't have such too

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@rev5: when you say find the source code that generated a graphical component, do you also mean those added dynamically? I guess that can be quite tricky, unless they use the new C# stuff that tells a method who has called it to keep UI debug info internally at each control when debugging (to remember what method generated it).

Usually UI is generated declaratively via XAML and that's what you can see and edit with XAMLSpy (dynamically). I think it can also persist now your changed back into the original XAML files of your project which is very handy

• rev5rev5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@birbilis: I haven't tried it. Is it similar to WebEssential browser link? Is it possible to find the source code which has generated a graphical component with just one click inside the running application?

• Jamie ClaytonJamie Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be ok if the XAML design errors could be displayed prior to running the application. E.g. StaticResource references that don't exist, Source paths that are relative, making it a pain to move files around. All these currently cost time to re-test and find rather than let the IDE warn you of the issue prior to build and debug.

• Yaniv FeinbergYaniv Feinberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your suggestion. We agree that debugging XAML can be difficult and we are pleased to let you know that one of the tooling enhancements we have added is the ability to debug binding and set breakpoints in XAML for Silverlight 5.”.

YanivF (MSFT)

Feedback and Knowledge Base