I suggest you ...

Allow overriding built-in Code Analysis dictionary terms

We need the ability to override Code Analysis dictionary terms which are shipped out-of-the-box (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\CustomDictionary.xml)

Otherwise, there is no way to get rid of CA1704 (IdentifiersShouldBeSpelledCorrectly) warnings for terms that are marked as unrecognized (e.g. "Multi") or compound (e.g. "Toolbar") in the built-in dictionary.

There is some discussion on Connect[1], but I refuse to accept the recommendation that we need to actually modify our Visual Studio installation files in order to be able to use certain words without CA complaining. This is not a practical solution for large teams.

I see two possible solutions:
1) We need the ability to tell CA that it should completely ignore its built-in dictionary
2) We need to ability to put something in our own dictionary file which "undoes" something in the built-in dictionary.

[1]: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/640787
[2]: http://stackoverflow.com/q/7854518/270348

133 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rob Siklos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

raffourtit: that is possible to do locally, but all developertt have to do it individually which is not very convenient, but doable
        the problem is with build server

• raffourtit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possibly allow for an override via the Compund section of the dictionary?
        Multi as a separate word is then not allowed.
        MultiWhatever can be marked as a valid Compound in user dictionary allowing its use.

Feedback and Knowledge Base