I suggest you ...

Add official support for Blend Extensions

Currently there is almost no documentation how to extend Blend. I have seen some examples in the wild which seem to be the result of reverseengeneering rather than beeing officialy supported. Some of the suggestions posted here could be easyly programmed by the community.

[Blend team response]
In addition to voting for this idea, please leave a comment letting us know what extensions you would like to use in Blend.

262 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Friedhelm Eichin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few months ago we get the 2017 Version of VS. But it seems that this topic forever is ignored. I can find no Information about extending Blend for Visual Studio.

• David A Bacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise and Blend with Noesis Engine, a XAML implementation for DirectX, Open GL and EGL on Windows Store, Windows Desktop, Android and iOS.

I would like an extension to make that scenario require less manual work in Blend. Just better support for loose XAML files in either Visual Studio or Blend would go a long way.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it a given that Visual Studio would have the ability to add extensions, but not Blend?

I use Blend for working in XAML and design surfaces and Visual Studio for Code. I found the 'Format XAML' extension for Visual Studio .... but I don't edit XAML in Visual Studio.

• Jeff Klawiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well Resharper would be my top vote. Mostly for the auto-namespace feature. Where I can just type the name of a control in the xaml and it will prompt me to import the namespace. I don't have to break out to the assets panel or type in the namespace myself.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kino Aguilar

Hi Kino. Any updates on this? My team would love to migrate to Blend 2015, but missing support for extensions is a non-starter for us. Our extension that we've been using with Blend 2012 and 2013 is primarily used to communicate with our tool every time the user saves a xaml file.

@Kino
        Thank you for the answer. Sorry I don't get a notification, so I don't get your comment a long time.

We use Blend since Blend 4 for a Kind of SCADA-System. Therefore we added a Special addon/Extension to:
        add a new window based on template xaml/cs files to the Project.
        add a clone of an existing window to th Project.
        This Extension we could use until Blend for VS2013 but now we don't have any Information how to port this Extension to the new Blend.

Best regards, Friedhelm Eichin

• Kino Aguilar [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone,

I am part of the Blend for Visual Studio team. We are currently investigating how to enable this feature. It would be helpful for my team to know what extensions specifically you would like to use in Blend. As such, please tell us by commenting on this user voice idea. Thanks!

Best, Kino Aguilar

• Kino Aguilar [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Friedhelm Eichin

Hi Friedhelm, I am part of the Blend for Visual Studio team. We are aware of this request, and are currently investigating how we can enable it. There are some technical challenges that we need to overcome, however, before we are able to do so. Please continue to vote for this feature request, so that my team can know what features Blend users want.

Do you have any other questions concerning this feature request?

It seems that this Topic is ignored by Microsoft, all questions about this are not answered until yet.
        I am curious when we will get the first Information about this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base