I suggest you ...

Rename Visual Basic to B# and Support B# With Absolute Parity

Dotnet 2015 made it clear: VB.NET developers need to switch to C# or be left behind. Very sad.

VB syntax is friendlier, easier to read and code and maintain. Yet Microsoft is killing off this superior language bowing to pressure from myopic C# developers and Mono.

343 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark CenturyMark Century shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programmingMicrosoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news that Microsoft have extended support of VB6 to Windows Server 2016. VB6 programming is supported until at least November 2027 on Windows Server 2016, and until at least 2025 on Windows 10. Both are likely to be extended.

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2016
        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/visual-basic/reference/vb6-support

VB6 programming is supported on Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 and earlier versions of Windows.

VBA programming is supported on Office 2016 and earlier versions of Office.

VBScript programming is still part of Windows.

• .Net is failing.Net is failing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 2017 Stack Overflow survey is very interesting...

C# has fallen in popularity from 45% to 34% in just 5 years.

It is amazing to see how far C# has fallen in the last few years.
        C# was intended to compete with Java but was never successful in that.
        It is unlikely that C# will still be a mainstream language in 5 years time.

And Xamarin is one of the most dreaded technologies in the Stack Overflow survey.
        Never successful as an independent business, Xamarin is now failing in Microsoft's ownership.

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=em-features&utm_source=so-owned

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ray Koopa

>>Too bad you didn't even understand why the C# name has a # in it. Very sad.

Do tell us. I certainly have no idea. Obviously nothing to do with speed either of development or performance.

Is it C-hash because Microsoft made a hash of it ?

It is more D-flat than C-sharp.

• ARM brings back VB6 programmingARM brings back VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good to see that VB6 programming will run on ARM processors under full Windows 10.

You'll even be able to run the VB6 IDE on an ARM tablet.

dotNet will be too slow on ARM processors, so a great future for VB6.

• Rashid AliRashid Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just because of the name. There is a common perception that C# is more powerful than VB. Which is totally wrong. No more Visual Basic B# B# B# B# B# B# B# only.

• Zagor TenayZagor Tenay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft have already announced VB.Net will no longer have parity with C#.

Microsoft is killing off VB.Net.

• HManHMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where did this "VB.Net is being abandoned" even coming from anyway? Was there an announcement I missed?

Hum, no.

This is a post from the MS program manager for the VB team, Anthony Green, from January 2016:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/53619f54-8593-4563-955f-7642b983222f/future-of-visual-basic?forum=vbgeneral

Re: VB has a long future ahead of it no matter how you look at it. We're working on the next version – the 25<sup>th</sup> Anniversary version – VB15. Visual Basic is an open source language (check us out on github) so it can't really be killed even in the event of Mount St. Helens erupting and burying Microsoft campus in magma.

So... yeah.

• Bring Back VB.NetBring Back VB.Net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that VB.Net has been downgraded to a second-rate language and won't be updated very often there is little chance of this request being met.

VB.Net is being abandoned.

• FaisalFaisal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft need to tell us the route forward. If they have one.

The adoption of the VB.Net language was a mistake, now we need to migrate our VB.Net code. And we still have VB6 code, it simply wasn't viable to migrate this to .Net. Migrating to C# is a dead end, now that .Net doesn't have a long term future.

What is really needed is migration to an updated VB6 programming language, for both our VB6 source code and our .Net code. This would be compatible with VBA programming and would carry our VB6 programming skills forward.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is time for MS to abandon VBdotNet and bring out an updated VB6 programming language.

• JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The language name doesn't matter and friendlier is subjective but I agree 100% that there needs to be parity. I switch between languages easily enough depending on whichever language my clients prefer but to not have the same tools available in each language is a huge productivity killer.

For example, you brought back "Create Unit Test" in C# but skipped VB, EVEN THOUGH THIS FEATURE USED TO BE IN VB!!! Releasing this to one language but not the other is simply lazy if not evil.

Anyone in Microsoft that still thinks one of these 2 languages is superior to the other is a fool. The overwhelming bulk of the work real .Net programmers do revolves around the common core classes and .Net Framework with C# or VB syntax being the glue used to connect those pieces, far less than 1% of the work. It shouldn't matter which language we use. Stop giving parity lip service when it comes to Visual Studio tooling!

• Jon McRaeJon McRae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to try the Community Edition of .Net but many of us cannot place an app server anywhere near the Internet without the security folk gett'n all riled.

Please vote for this to give us an option to register it offline or put out a true Open Source version with no reg. Thanks.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/9563619-enable-vs-community-activation-registration-offlin

Mean time gonna keep us'n VB6...

"Private mIntList as New List(Of Integer)? What kind of nonsense is that?

List<int> for the win."

You could at least compare 1:1...

var mIntList = New List<Integer>
        Dim mIntList = New List(Of Integer)

I don't see how one is better than the other...

This thread would be hilarious if it weren't so sad (but not for the reasons you think)...

"Dotnet 2015 made it clear: VB.NET developers need to switch to C# or be left behind."

Made it clear how? To whom? Have they issued an official statement? In other words, are you pulling this out of your illiterate *** or do you have any proof whatsoever to back it up?

"It is certainly the current plan that there will be no further development of VB.Net after VS2015 is launched."

Whose plan? Microsoft seems to disagree, seeing as they invested a lot in this latest release for language parity. They even completely rewrote their VB compiler, IN VISUAL BASIC! So, again, please show your sources... Otherwise it's just mindless drivel.

I use both VB.NET and C# daily, and there is no reason to hate on one or the other. They are essentially the same, the only thing you are choosing between both languages is a set of syntax rules. What the **** do you care what someone else prefers? C# isn't all that great from a syntax point of view. Great for source code density, not so great for source code reading and debugging. It's full of idioms inherited from C++ that even veteran C++ programmers would have preferred to see go away. BUT it's better than Java if you put aside the cross platform aspect.

So, I ask, where does this topic even come from? VB isn't under any danger whatsoever. All I see is a frustrated dummy jumping to conclusions after seeing the FIRST ITERATION of the new cross platform tools included in VS2015. Mindless drivel.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base