I suggest you ...

Only display real errors on "Error List" after compilation (option?)

If you open a large XAML project, it's not uncommon to have a lot of false errors displayed in "Error List" tab, (mainly about XAML files)

Is it possible to add a button to clear completely this list and display only real errors detected by the compiler (just a simple parsing of the compiler output) ?

It would help a lot of developers cause the only solution right now is to copy-paste the output in Notepad and search "error"...

See the attachment

406 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rudy Huyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nathan Sokalski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I often receive errors in my XAML for resources coming from other files. Even though Intellisense lists the resources (IValueConverters, Styles, etc.) as existing, it then shows them as errors. This is often related to the source not being compiled or something related to referencing not being updated, but even after the source is recompiled or the reference is fixed (although it often was correct already), Visual Studio 2015 often takes a lot of tries before realizing that the code is correct.

• Samuel Bronson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes; even if all the ways that such difficult-to-remove entries can get into the error list are bugs, it would be really nice to have a way to clear the remembered errors so they can be recomputed from scratch; I've ended up having errors listed in files that aren't even used anymore before.

> One way of doing this is having "Clean Solution" clean the Error List. (Let alone that "Rebuild Solution" should do this. I.E. when someone wishes to clean everything. Clean 'Everything!'.

"Clean solution" certainly seems like a reasonable time to do this, though on the other hand, this might make it harder for the developers of VS components/extensions to notice when they introduce such "unfixable" errors.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also visible on HTML and other XML-ish files that dont match the XSD's that VS is configured to use.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way of doing this is having "Clean Solution" clean the Error List. (Let alone that "Rebuild Solution" should do this. I.E. when someone wishes to clean everything. Clean 'Everything!'.

Feedback and Knowledge Base